Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Mary & St Margarets

Combrook

in the county of Warwickshire

Breamor

Breamore

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hometowns

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >

Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 17:21 on 7th November 2007

Hi,

I thought it might be intersting to hear where users live and to tell us all where their favourite local places are. also to give us an idea about the area they come from  and what they like / dislike about it.

So to start the ball rolling I am from Great Yarmouth, which is on the coast of Norfolk, right next to the Norfolk Broads and about twenty miles from the nearest city which is Norwich. I was born here and although its far from perfect I love the place. Its a busy seaside resort in ther summer months but a bit of a ghost town in the winter. I love the seaside in the summer and having the norfolk broads on my doorstep plus miles of coastline to explore in the summer. Its not so much fun here during the winter months though as it can be a bit cold and bleak, but I guess its the same for many parts of the country.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 18:12 on 7th November 2007

Hi again, I thought i would just add to my last post a couple of pictures of Home (Great Yarmouth)

Pier

Great Yarmouth Seafront

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 19:26 on 7th November 2007

Hi Ian

I (Chris) grew up in the area of The Malvern Hills which lie on the border of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. The actual town of Great Malvern is pleasant enough, but what really made the area special to me was obviously the hills with their fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. It is an Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty famed for its stunning views, the composer Elgar, and the natural spring water. It is also the only place in the world that produces the Morgan motor car.

Here are two pictures of the hills:

On top of the malvern hills

I have many a fond memory of walking the hills as a boy, walking with the dogs, or alone sometimes, catching grass snakes which used to bask out in the sun, (keeping a watchful eye out for adders which i was told were there, but I never actually got to see one)

one of the many views from the malvern hills
A view from the hills

What I really found fantastic about the Malvern hills, was that when walking them, on the one side you had Worcestershire, on the other Herefordshire. One county could be basked in sunshine under beautiful blue sky, whilst at the same time the other could be hidden under an endless blanket of low lying cloud or fog, it was awesome, the hills acting as a barrier against the encroaching cloud or fog, sort of like on this picture found here.

Of course, the hills also offered fantastic sunsets - see this picture here

I now live in Oxford, which of course is a beautiful city and well worth a visit, and I spent some years in the wonderful medieval riverside town of Tewkesbury, which is famed for its timber-framed buildings and abbey. My parents still live there. Here is a pic of Tewkesbury:

Tewkesbury Abbey and streets

Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 01:07 on 8th November 2007
Thanks for that Chris, I don't know Oxford at all but I do know Great Malvern and I have walked along those hills myself, (and drunk the water). I love the area and its certainly a change from Norfolk which is almost completely flat.
PirateDuchess
PirateDuchess
quotePosted at 23:32 on 8th November 2007

Hi all, I'm the odd one here not being English.

I'm from Holland and my birth place is Rotterdam but since twelve years i have lived near Arnhem of Bridge too far fame and many of you may know what city it is when i mention Operation Market Garden .

I love the city and it's nature around, esp. what called the " High Veluwe".

I don't have any photo's here to share right now but these are nice websites to give you an idea.

http://picture.bbnl.nl/

http://www.pbase.com/ancokolstee/veluwe

http://www.hogeveluwe.nl/default.asp?language=2 

Derek Nash
Derek Nash
quotePosted at 19:45 on 9th November 2007

Duchess,

What a fine city u have. I was in germany for several yrs but never got to visit Arnhem. A shame

Derek Nash
Derek Nash
quotePosted at 19:53 on 9th November 2007
> At 7th November 2007 19:26 poe wrote:

>

> Hi Ian, I (Chris) grew up in the area of The Malvern Hills which
> lie on the border of Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

Ahhh Home.   I was born in Tenbury, (See my pics). Family still live in Worcester, and visit often. Sadly i now live in NW england. There is nothing of beauty like the Malverns, until u get to the lakes!!!!  Have been to the top of the 'Beacon' once.

PirateDuchess
PirateDuchess
quotePosted at 21:03 on 9th November 2007

Derek, Arnhem is wonderful but it's not my town, it's very near my town.

I presented Arnhem because it's so near and my own town isn't very exciting.

This is the town i live is Duiven but i cannot even find images of it.

Soon i will make some when the weather is slightly better Wink

Paul Higgins
Paul Higgins
quotePosted at 03:47 on 10th November 2007

I'm from Birmingham and live in Tamworth. Birmingham spots I love: Pimply Hill. That's what we called it as kids. It was, I believe a Roman hill fort. Virtually destryed by the building of the M6, just off Chester Road 1/2 a mile or so before the Clock Garage, other side of the River Tame from Castle Vale. We often went there as kids before the motorway was built. I don't think there is much of it left and if you didn't know about it, you would miss it now. You'd be hard pressed to find information about it. I know it and have 'googled' but there do not appear to be any references to it. (Pimply Hill was our name for it, from it's appearence.) Also love(d) the Art and Science museums. When the science museum was in Newhall street and free to visit it was a place of wonder to us kids. Hall of Memory. I was always awed by the statues of the servicemen outside. Aston Hall. Such a lot of history there. And I still find it hard to believe that the furnishings inside are not original (it was looted in the English Civil war, I think).

As for Tamworth, there really is only one spot, historically speaking. The castle. Though the Moat House is a good runner up.  So much of this ancient and once important town has been destroyed by small minded politicians in the name of progress.

Roy Batham
Roy Batham
quotePosted at 13:54 on 10th November 2007
Hi I'm Roy Batham in Perth Western Australia. I was born 1939 in Harlesden London N.W.10. Aged 15 my parents moved to Woburn Sands . Bedfordshire. I have been here 40 years, but still love the English country side. I travelled over much of England, visiting ancient sites.This fabulous site brings back many memories. Recenlty I started to trace mine and my wife's ancestry. From London, Dorset, Wilts, Essex, Lancs , Yorks. This site allows me to see where they all lived.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >