Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Getting to Hilltop (Beatrix Potter's house)

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 12:44 on 30th November 2014

My wife and I watched a very good documentary about the life of Beatrix Potter who was an author, illustrator, natural scientist and conservationist. We decided to visit Hilltop and the surrounding farms on our 10 day driving trip around England.

Before we left Australia, I searched for the internet for accommodation near Lake Windermere. Bookings were heavy as we would be there on a long weekend in spring. We decided to stay for two nights in Preston instead. On a fine Saturday morning, we drove to Bowness to catch the chain ferry which carries cars and runs every 20 minutes. The queue was so long my wife and a friend who was with us decided the queue was too long. I suggested that we drive around the lake instead as it was only a 45 minute trip but they didn’t like that idea so we didn't go to Hilltop.I was disappointed. If anyone wants to take a car across on the ferry they should arrive early.

I’ve just noticed that the National Trust have a timed ticket entry to avoid overcrowding in the house which opens at 10.30am. All tickets can be sold well before closing time. Only organised tour groups can pre-book time slots.

I’ve just found out that the ‘Cross Lakes Experience’ from Pier 3 runs a return trip by boat and shuttle bus for those who don’t want to take a car to Hilltop
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 15:18 on 30th November 2014

We had a lovely visit to Hilltop and no need for the ferry as we were staying on the West side of Windermere at Far Sawrey ( a National Trust property in a stunning setting but alas not up to NT usual standards and now removed from there cottage list ). We did use the ferry many times though staying where we were and had a wait on the day of arrival but after that the ferry was usually running half full only. Note for disabled,the fee is not applicable if you have a zero rated car license but not sure how that will work now that the tax disc is no longer displayed.

Hilltop itself was wonderful and parking was available at the house for those with disabilities but in very few numbers at any one time. The gardens were beautiful and the house very interesting ( only downstairs accessable to wheelchairs ). Visitors from Japan make a beeline to Hilltop and make up a big percentage of visitors.

Given another chance Ken , do make the visit.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...