Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Boats of the River Wey, Guildford, Surrey

Guildford

in the county of Surrey

A stunning view from Earls Seat, on The Campsie's, above Strahblane looking north to Loch Lomond.

Strathblane

in the county of Stirlingshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A Little Bit Of Cornwall

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter M
Peter M
quotePosted at 08:18 on 12th December 2011

My wife and I flew into Newquay Airport via a touchdown in Plymouth after leaving Dublin in mid afternoon January 2010. We had come to find the gravesite of my Great great great great great Grandfather buried somewhere in the Little Petherick churchyard.

We were so excited as we picked up our hirecar and left the airport. Id never driven in England and here I was in the middle of winter driving a foriegn car in a foriegn land without a GPS.

The nervous tension spiked when I nearly collected a partridge(??) about two hundred metres from the airport that darted across the road...then I took a wrong turn and ventured into the early evening on a road toward the coast instead of a road toward the A39....Yep we were lost.

The light was starting to get dim when I done the unthinkable...ask for directions... and thanks to this wonderful lady who jumped into our car we set off across Tregurrian, Trevarrian and Trenance, names that I recognised in researching England census', as residence of my forefathers.

"Lookout!!" screamed my guide; as I hit the brakes at a "double" roundabout...Id never heard of them I told her. I had now, and soon the guide asked to be dropped off at the next safe opportunity.

I thanked her ever so much as she thanked God she was still alive...and we set off on our way into inky blackness of a winding road to Padstow literally via the cape.

Over hill and moor we went drilling our headlights into what seemed to be a black emptiness. When we did spot lights after coming over the next rise we thought, thats got to be Padstow, our destination...but we were wrong...on and on slowly at first around the blind hedged rowed bends and down through the dips and up again and there it was.

We stayed at the Metropole Hotel in Padstow and I highly recommend it. Comfortable,clean and with friendly desk staff who served up fish and mushy peas...yum...Id had my first taste of Cornwall.

Breakfast next morning was scrumptous and included a beautiful view from the dining room out over the roof tops into the River Camel.

We then travelled back across part of our previous  journey the following day under a clear blue sky -and enjoyed the journey far better- to Bedruthan Steps.  What an amazing coastline. My wife had to wee and I said- "You'll be right, theres no one around"...I hadnt spotted a man nearby coming towards us...That gave us a laugh.

The surreal piece was still to come that afternoon, when we walked into the churchyard in Little Petherick and believe it or not discovered the headstone- Yes it was the very first one we tried to read. My wife said that was spooky and did I feel any connection. I hadn't, but the moment was not lost on me.

We stayed for three days and went to Port Isaac, St Kew, Tintagel, Wadebridge, Newquay, and places in between. We talk about how beautiful our experience was all the time and yearn to return.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:30 on 12th December 2011

Great story, don't know who it was from just yet, but will find out!

For the person who posted it, try to keep it under an hour next time and then we will see your avatar, that is if you loaded one! lol

You obviously enjoyed Cornwall and thanks for sharing your experience.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:06 on 12th December 2011

That sounds like quite a scary trip into the wilds of England, lol.   Nice story though.

Welcome to POE and I expect you have photos that you might wish to load? Look forward to seeing them! 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:01 on 12th December 2011

having been to cornwall twice i dont think i will be going again--dont get me wrong it is a very nice place and very enjoyable there are many places as nice up north which i have not seen yet having lived up north all my life.

i think next year it will be north yorkshire on our short break hols and have a look at skipton,whitby,york its getting that way now we are fed up with waiting at airports for 3 hours a time.

Gary Fradd
Gary Fradd
quotePosted at 00:05 on 20th December 2011
On 12th December 2011 08:30, Ron Brind wrote:

Great story, don't know who it was from just yet, but will find out!

For the person who posted it, try to keep it under an hour next time and then we will see your avatar, that is if you loaded one! lol

You obviously enjoyed Cornwall and thanks for sharing your experience.

Sorry Ron- cheapchippy here -Dont know why my details and pic didnt load up in the post; an avatar has been uploaded.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 03:18 on 20th December 2011

I guess if you take too long composing your post, something happens that your name and info doesn't appear.

I'm sure Ron will fill you in when he gets up in the morning.

Phil Jobson
Phil Jobson
quotePosted at 12:28 on 29th December 2011
Cornwall here I come: April 2012. Will send pics ( ad nauseum).
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:10 on 29th December 2011
Hi Phil. Nice to hear from you, and nice to know you're coming back.
Peter M
Peter M
quotePosted at 18:13 on 12th February 2012
I've been in Cornwall last year at Easter, pictures are coming soon...sorry for the delay
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:13 on 12th February 2012

Looking forward to seeing them, shall not be getting a Kernow visit in this year so POE will have to be my eyes-- bring on the pictures.

Chons da ha Oll an Gwella