St Eval

in the county of Cornwall

Village Sign

Coltishall

in the county of Norfolk

Flamingo Park, Seaview, Isle of Wight

Seaview

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( Chester - 04/08/10 )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 20:23 on 8th January 2011

Chester Smile !

Should you ask anybody in France what Chester is about, they will undoubtedly reply "The Cat, of course !" as us French call Lewis Carrol's famous character "The Cat of Chester" !

Long before I first visited Chester, I had visions of black and white buildings as I once applied for a position at the Grosvenor Hotel before heading instead to Corsica ! Foolish youth !

After visiting this gem of a city, I can safely say that it really is one of Britain's best kept secrets which has so much to offer to the Visitor with its incredible variety of treasures.

I first was greeted with the smile of the Pride of Chester Guide, then started my day by walking around the incredibly well preserved medieval walls which surround the city and offers great views of Chester as well as of the beautiful River Dee and were the perfect introduction to my day in Chester.

I then ventured in the town through the Eastgate Clock which is the second most photographed clock in England after Big ben and offers a truly magnificent view on Eastgate St and its beautiful medieval black & white buildings including the national treasure "The Chester Rows" which have delighted Shoppers for over 700 years and counting.

Wandering through the streets of Chester is a pure delight for anyone intersting in history, architecture or simply beauty as it is everywhere for you to enjoy from the majestic Tudor buildings to the exquisite wood carvings and statues of their facade.

The City even offers a fascinating Roman Heritage in the shape of Britain's largest Roman Amphitheatre dated back to the times when Chester was a busy port importing all kinds of luxury goods from wine to fine pottery.

After exploring the town, I really enjoyed a refreshing walk by the River Dee which is of a great natural beauty and I finally came back for a spot of late lunch at the Brasserie Gerard while listening to classic French songs playing in the background !

The saying "it has it all" could not be more appropriate than to the amazingly beautiful City of Chester which is guaranteed to make a lasting impression when you will decide to visit it Smile

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

Chester - August 2010

KarimSmile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:24 on 8th January 2011

Mr Cool eh? That's Karim! Lol

Well done Karim, great pictures.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:28 on 8th January 2011

I think that covered Chester pretty well.  I loved it when I visited there about 20 years ago.

Congratulations.

victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 20:29 on 8th January 2011

Thank you Ron and Cathy Smile

Edited by: victorian67 at:8th January 2011 20:30
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:32 on 8th January 2011
Nice to see you in the forum tonight Karim, but can't you help me stir up these people that keep having a go at me.....like James and CathyML for example! Lol
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:33 on 8th January 2011
good pics karim  i was there a few weeks before christmas  when all the street was dug up.
 Please login to post to this thread...