Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Green Man, Dovecote Lane Park

Beeston

in the county of Nottinghamshire

Lancaster Market Street and Museum

Lancaster

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Can anyone help??

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Cheri Thomas
Cheri Thomas
quotePosted at 16:00 on 29th June 2010

I'm hoping that perhaps someone lives close to Hunsdon, which appears to be near Ware.

I'm looking for a marriage record for Richard Thomas Foster (Forster) who married Mira Dorcas Isham on 3 July, 1624 at St. Dunstans, Hunsdon.

I did look online but I'm not sure if I did it right.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it and if costs are involved to get a copy, I will gladly re-imburse.

Thanks in advance.........Cheri 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:19 on 29th June 2010

As far as i can find, this marriage might have taken place earlier somewhere else and a short marriage. Second marriage might be this one for her------

3 July 1624 at St Dunstans, Stepney ( London) married Bartholemew Hoskins. 1634 emmigrated to Virginia and died abt 1652, Lower Norfolk Co., Virginia 

I think this first marriage to Richard Foster was c.1615 when she was around 14 years old. I presume you have the details of the Foster-Hoskins children of hers ?

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:29th June 2010 20:00
Cheri Thomas
Cheri Thomas
quotePosted at 03:36 on 30th June 2010

Thank you so much Paul.  That really helps explain some things. I'm afraid that the records we have on this side "from" that side are a bit of a mess and didn't really make sense.  The two children whom she brought to America with her are supposedly Fosters and their names were Richard and Ann.

Can you tell me where I might find the 1615 marriage cert. to Robert and a death cert. for Robert?   He was born in Durhamshire.

Again, your help and information are invaluable to us and we really appreciate you.

Many thanks........Cheri

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:27 on 30th June 2010

Hi Cheri----her children with Richard Foster were Robert ( 1615-1654); Richard (1619-1681) and Ann ( 1620-1692).

Son Richard was a Constable in Lynhaven, Virginia and received from a Court Order, 200 acres of land at the head of Southern Creek, Severne, Mockjack Bay. I believe his dad Richard died in Virginia, not England. i think at best you'll only find the parish register entry for his marriage.

As for Bartholemew Hoskins; he was in Virginia and seemed to be doing extremely well for himself and appears to me he was a tobacco plantation owner. Virginia  court records apparently show him aquiring 100's upon 100s of acres of land and also payments of or receiving large amounts of tobacco in settlement for payment of various debts or being given as gifts. 

He had 2 children--  Bart Jnr ( 1624-?) and Dorcas Hoskins ( 1624-1653) 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th June 2010 21:08
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:28 on 30th June 2010

You seem to have an interesting story here Cheri---whatever that story might be? I'd recommend trawling the court and land records for Lower Norfolk, VA through the 1600s.  Richard Foster arrived in Virginia 1635 on the ship Safety, departing London 10 August, 1635. His fare was paid for by Batholemew Hoskins.

For land aquisitions example, he was given 800 acres in Lower Norfolk Co.  by Governor William Berkeley for the transportation of 16 people. He got some of his land in this manner off court orders to build up his plantation. He also seem to have kept his house in Fleet St, London and his trips back to England appear to be because he was involved in several law cases. As he already had a home in Virginia when he was single, it must have been while making one of his trips back to England he got married.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:1st July 2010 10:28
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:06 on 30th June 2010

As for the Foster children, I think Robert was in Virginia too. Richard married Susannah Garnett and Ann had 3 husbands---Thomas Haynes, Roger Williamson, and John Carraway. No children from her first marriage.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th June 2010 21:07
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:26 on 30th June 2010
paul could you tell me how you get this informationits amazing,i have some sites but nothing like the one you have.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:33 on 30th June 2010
I also use/belong to a number of sites but Paul is a wizkid when it comes to finding out information!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:45 on 30th June 2010
i dont think pauls posts are getting through somehow.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:55 on 30th June 2010

Ancestry had the nuts and bolts and other researchers looking at the Hoskins and Fosters of Colonial Virginia have added bits and pieces  about Bartholemew and his family/background.

Then using Google, other snippets start appearing; a bit like parts of a jigsaw puzzle and trying to get the overall picture you don't know what it really looks like. I think there might be a connection to Royalty here I haven't quite found out yet.