Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Orford Castle

Orford

a Seaside Town in the county of Suffolk

Colemere near Ellesmere in Shropshire, UK.

Colemere

in the county of Shropshire

Church of St Mary the Virgin

Oxford

a Historic City in the county of Oxfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Reeves Family, Littleborough

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 04:07 on 15th August 2008

Hello everyone,

My name is Cathy England. I have one daughter. I also have three cats and wished I had a dog. My father, Robert William England loved his parents, Robert James and Elsie (Reeves) England, tremendously and misses them dearly, esp. his Grandparents, William and Elizabeth (Earnshaw) Reeves. My Grandmother, Elsie Reeves, was born 1902 and lived in Littleborough at 84 James Street until she was five years old. At that time her father was hired in the US to build the British Embassy in Washington D.C.

My father was a carpenter, cabinet maker and builder. An extremely gifted craftsman. He had a very hard life emotionally and physically and now suffers from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. I believe that he will not be with us for more than 2 years at the rate the disease is going. I would love to give him a gift of finding relatives that may still live in or around the area that would correspond with him and my mother.

I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can supply me with. I would also love to make a lot of friends through this process. I plan to visit England when the Lord allows me to.

Respectfully, Cathy 

Edited by: Cathy E. at:5th August 2010 04:11
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 04:48 on 15th August 2008

Sorry Cathy I can't help you, but maybe someone else can.

BTW . hello and welcome.

Did you have to pay extra for a name like that ? LaughingWink

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:46 on 15th August 2008
Hi Cathy:  Welcome to POE.  I too, am not able to help, but someone here may have a tip.  Do you know what county Littleborough is in?  I'm sorry to hear about your dad. And I hope you get to visit England some day soon.  In the meantime, surf around this lovely website and chat with some of the lovely people here.
L
L
quotePosted at 07:03 on 15th August 2008
Hi Cathy, welcome to POE from me too,  sorry but I can't help either.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:21 on 15th August 2008

Hi Cathy, and  a welcome from me, too. Also sorry to hear about your father. Your Littleborough does seem to possibly sound like the one north-east of the Borough of Rochdale; Greater Manchester. ( formerly Rochdale, Lancashire.) though any present relations could be just about anywhere by now, couldn't they? I think a letter to the local newspaper would be a good place to ask as well. www.192.com might prove useful later on if you find a name over here, plus other surnames would also appear by now related to you by various marriages since. Hope you can find a lead somewhere.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 09:08 on 15th August 2008
Hi Cathy and welcome to the site. I had a quick look on the internet browser and found a site www.littleboroughonline.co.uk - they have a forum and may be able to help. I went to webfetch and typed Reeves and Littleborough and came up with a John Reeves and a phone number so that is worth a try. Good luck.
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 12:51 on 15th August 2008

Good Afternoon! Thank you all so much for your responses. It really means a lot to me. I will try all of your suggestions.

No, I did not have to pay extra for the nameInnocent Although it is a lot easier to pronounce than Schleunes!

The England family dates back at least to the 1600's possibly connected to Sir George England. There were three brothers who came to the US, Joseph, Lewis and John England. I am a descendant of Lewis. My paternal grandfather's sister was an England and she married an England who was a descendant of Joseph. Pretty cool! My great uncle was a genealogist and compiled a book titled "Joseph England and His Descendants."   So that is my grandfather's side of the family. Now I want to search for my grandmother's family which is the Reeves family. My Great Grandfather Reeves loved my dad so much and was so proud of him. My dad has the fondest memories of him. I have read my dad's baby book. Seeing what my grandmother wrote about Grandfather Reeves and my dad was a joy.                

Littleborough is near Rochdale in Lancaster. 

Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 01:49 on 3rd September 2008

Hi Cathy,

sorry this is a bit late, but have you tried looking on origins?  can't remember the site address...either www.origins.com or www.origins.co.uk

Good Luck!

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 04:22 on 4th September 2008

Thanks Roses. I really appreciate the help. I have not tried that yet but will when I get time.

Thank for thinking of me. 

quote | editPosted at 13:56 on 26th November 2008

Hi Cathy, this is the first time I have seen this thread of yours, observant aren't I lol

My hubby's family comes from the same area as your Reeves ancestors, I have all the census returns from 1841 to 1901 and also all the bmd index from 1837, if you would like me to do any look ups for you I would be more than happy to do so, send me an e mail with any information you have, dates of birth etc and I will be more than happy to help you.