231 Interesting and historical facts about England.
Please help us to build the ultimate England facts database by adding any interesting facts using the form below or posting them in the forum. As the database grows, we will be organising the England facts into categories such as general facts, village facts, royal facts, spooky facts, and more! and also allowing you to sort facts by county, date added, and so on.
The Cotswold town of Painswick was featured on BBC televisions "The Casual Vacancy" by J.K.Rowling.
The historic wool town of Painswick, in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds is home to the oldest bowling green in England.
The first mention of the White Cliffs of Dover was by Julius Caesar when he came over with two legions of soldiers, describing how it was unsuitable for landing there, and witnessing enemy troops lining the hilltops. The romans would later build two lighthouses along the cliffs for the Roman ships to navigate by. One of these lighthouses (called a Pharos) still stands today on the site of Dover Castle.
The village of Chipping in Lancashire, is home to the building that has been in longest continual use as a shop. Now the Chipping Craft Centre, it was first opened as a shop in 1668.
The village of Chobham, in Surrey, became known for developing Chobham armour during the 1960's.
The first lighthouse on Flamborough Head was built by Sir John Clayton, and was completed in 1674. It is one of the oldest surviving complete lighthouses in England. Built from chalk, it was never lit, and is now a Grade II* listed building
Hornton stone, a ferruginous limestone, was quarried in several places near the village and, apart from its use in the building of cottages, houses and churches, etc. in Hornton and all the other nearby villages it was also used in buildings such as St. Paul's Cathedral in London, Canterbury Cathedral and university buildings in Oxford and Cambridge.
Woolstone has a 17th-century timber-framed public house, the White Horse Inn
The common lands of Uffington, Baulking and Woolstone were enclosed in 1776
A watermill at Woolstone is recorded in 1325, however it was demolished in about 1850 and replaced with a house, Woolstone Lodge.