"Guildford Through The Arches"
Guildford cathedral was started in 1936, when the foundation stone was laid by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, William Lang. It sits atop Stag Hill, to the NW of Guildford town centre, and owes its existence to the creation of a new diocese, separate from Winchester, in 1927. Building work was suspended during the second world war, and resumed in 1952. It is reported that the bricks were made from the red clay on the site, and sold for 2/6d (half-a-crown) to defray the costs of construction. In the wall of the cathedral are bricks signed by several members of the Royal Family, including the Queen (Elizabeth II) and Prince Philp Slideshow Upload