Tutbury

in the county of Staffordshire

Hayling Island

Hayling Island

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of Hallaton

Hallaton

in the county of Leicestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Former home of the greatest Christian Apologetic C S Lewis (The Kilns) and Risinghurst Estate

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:07 on 10th July 2012

Not a lot of people know that the former home of C. S. Lewis can be found in a suburb of Oxford called Risinghurst Estate (Estate meaning Parish, Township, or Development). The poscode for those with satnav is OX3 8JD. Those without will need to look for Lewis Close ('Close' means cul-de-sac) off Kiln Lane, Risinghurst, Headington, Oxford.

Clive Staples Lewis was known throughout his lifetime as 'Jack' but how did he come to get that nickname? He detested the names Clive Staples but as a ten year old boy whilst living in Ireland and after his pet dog 'Jacksie' or 'Jacksy' was killed by one of the first motorised vehicles in Northern Ireland he decided that he would remember his beloved pet by himself adopting the name. Over the years that followed Jacksie or Jacksy became 'Jacks' and Jacks became 'Jack'.

C. S. Lewis is considered by many throughout the world as the greatest Christian Apologetic of the 20th Century.

Shouldn't he be titled Saint C. S. Lewis of Oxford? What do you think members?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 03:48 on 11th July 2012

Sorry but J. Smith's above post was rude. POE is a family.

Yes, your Jack is a saint but so is Mahatma Ghandi. I don't know if the Anglican Church canonizes people as saints. I believe it is only the various Orthodox Churches and the Catholic Church that do. Jack is revered in the U.S. by the Catholic clergy and many of the laity as a true saint. I believe he is. His writings are angelic.

Ron, if you believe C.S. is a saint then that is what counts. A multitude of people are in heaven and very few are canonized. If you truly believe Mr. Lewis is in heaven, ask him to pray for you or someone close to you and if it is a miracle to you and yours then that will be your true answer. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:48 on 11th July 2012
Julie, most people on this site if they have nothing sensible or constructive to say don't say anything. Might I suggest you do the same and find somewhere else to vent your boredom.........
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:40 on 11th July 2012

It's not the first time Julie Smith has responded to posts and pictures that I have written and/or submitted in similar manner. Perhaps she bears a personal grudge?

POE (as with other sites) benefits from having a wealth of information available for visitors as they use the Search engines.

Well, there's your answer from me Julie....post deleted, and if as appears to be the case you don't like what you see here on POE then might I also suggest you spend your time looking elsewhere!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:43 on 11th July 2012

To further add to my comment above, I see that 1174 visitors have looked at this particular post in just 24 hours!

There is your answer Julie Smith.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 08:44 on 11th July 2012

Yes she had a snipe last year sometime re the funding issue.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:01 on 11th July 2012

But has contributed nothing!

My thanks go to Linda-Mary and Dave for posting as above.

Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 10:37 on 13th July 2012

I read a very interesting book about C.S Lewis,J.R.R.Tolkien and their friends.It's "The Inklings of Oxford" written by Harry Lee Poe.The lavishly illustrated book matches a study of the Inklings lives and writings to beautiful photos of the places that played an important role in their lives.Their work had an impact on countless lives.

There's some photos of The Kilns which was purchased by C.S.Lewis, his brother Warnie and Mrs.Janie Moore in 1930.The Kilns then stood in an eight-acre garden on Kiln Lane, alone in the countryside on the outskirts of the parish of Headington Quarry (a pleasant walk away before the eastern bypass cut the area off). Risinghurst did not then exist, but grew up all around the house.

Edited by: Ken Marshall at:13th July 2012 13:25
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 11:38 on 13th July 2012
On 11th July 2012 09:01, Ron Brind wrote:

But has contributed nothing!

My thanks go to Linda-Mary and Dave for posting as above.

trust me to miss this post--what have i missed??--i do remember her little outburst last year which didnt go down very well.Frown
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 11:56 on 13th July 2012

In response to Ron's initial post she just put  'YAWN...'   totally unneccessary but after last year wouldn't have expected owt else