Pictures of Seaton Sluice
About Seaton Sluice
Your Business Here! - Sponsor our Seaton Sluice pages, click here.
It was the Silt-controlling gate at the river's mouth that gave this popular village its name.
For centuries salt had been panned in the region, at this time the village was known as Hartley Pans, but this appears to have changed following the building of a harbour with a sluice at the harbour mouth. In 1660 the salt and coal trades were beginning to flourish, Sir Ralph Delaval saw the need to expand the harbour, to enable the entrance of larger vessel's so that both salt and coal could shipped directly, instead of from nearby Blyth.
Later, in the 18th century, Sir John Hussey Delaval and his brother Thomas who was an engineer, devised an ingenious system for flushing away the silt by creating an island at the harbour mouth. It was during the 18th century that the trade in salt declined, this was largely due to heavier taxation.
The powerful Delaval family are to thank for the prosperity of the village, it was their commercial enterprises of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries that gave stability to Seaton Sluice, allowing it to expand. From salt and coal the family extended into glass making, a glass factory was established in 1763, this was known as The Royal Hartley Bottleworks, and eventually bottles from here found their way across the length and breadth of the country.
Interestingly, It is believed that the Methodist preacher John Wesley preached at Seaton Sluice in 1744.
Nearby lies Seaton Delaval, a magnificent mansion built in the 18th century for Admiral George Delaval. The house is in the splendid English baroque style and is regarded by many to be one of architect Sir John Vanbrugh's finest masterpieces. The interior contains a superb chimneypiece in the Great Hall, in the grounds a Norman chapel contains family tombs and effigies.
Today, life in Seaton Sluice is vastly different to its 18th and 19th century "hey-day", the village exists mostly as a resort village with a proud industrial heritage. The harbour is in constant use by pleasure craft, but visitors very much enjoy the interpretive display and exploring the harbour paths and series of inter-connecting bridges.
It is still possible to walk along the paths of Seaton Burn, a pleasant walk leads from the village to the local beauty spot of Holywell Dene where there is a glorious wooded area with wildlife habitats. In Holywell Dene, visitors can see an 18th century folly known as "Starlight Castle" this was built over-night in order to win a bet!
The long golden beach continues to be a popular destination for visitors, and the influence of the Delaval's can be seen in the number of pubs in the village named for this famous local family. These are; The Delaval Arms, The Astley Arms (the Astley family being direct descendents of the Delaval's) and The Melton Constable, named for the southern seat of Lord Hastings, also a descendent of the Delaval's.
Of great interest is the Church of Our Lady, this was built at around the end of the 11th century by Hubert de Laval, a nephew by marriage of William the Conqueror. The church was consecrated by Bishop Flambard of Durham in 1102, and remains as the Parish Church of the Parish of Delaval. It is open for Sunday worship, and at all other times it can be visited during the same opening times as Seaton Delaval Hall.
This is an excellent place to visit, it has much to offer including a splendid beach to relax upon, a pretty harbour for sailing and fishing, pleasant streets to wander, lively pubs, and a very genial atmosphere.
Seaton Sluice lies between Whitley Bay and Blyth.
Take a picture tour of Seaton Sluice or book Seaton Sluice accommodation
Other nearby recommended towns & villages..
in the county of Northumberland(3.3 miles, 5.3 km, direction NW of Seaton Sluice)
An attractive old place, with a long seafaring history, the port of Blyth is believed to date back to the 12th-century...
in the county of Tyne & Wear(3.9 miles, 6.3 km, direction S of Seaton Sluice)
Cullercoats has many pleasing aspects including a picturesque 19th century church in a commanding position close to the shoreline...
a Seaside Town in the county of Northumberland(7.2 miles, 11.5 km, direction N of Seaton Sluice)
The bay is a major attraction, often lively with fishing cobbles and pleasure craft, it is also a haven for sun-bathers...
in the county of Tyne & Wear(7.2 miles, 11.6 km, direction S of Seaton Sluice)
This is the town that is famous for the 1930's "Hunger March" caused by the intense poverty that followed the closing of the Charles Palmer shipyard. The last of the surviving marchers, Cornelius Whalen died in 2003 at the age of 93...
a Historic City in the county of Tyne & Wear(9.3 miles, 14.9 km, direction SW of Seaton Sluice)
This important City was known as Pons Aelii in Roman times; the Romans built the first bridge over the River Tyne, it was guarded by a Roman fort which was replaced by a castle.....All towns in NorthumberlandComplete A to Z of towns in England
Nearby attractions.. (0.6 miles, 1.0 km)
This house with its beautiful baroque work and wonderful ionic columns is the work of a man who was both inventive playwright and..... (5.0 miles, 8.0 km, direction SE)
.. (5.3 miles, 8.5 km, direction S)
The haunting, intermingaled ruins of Tynemouth Castle and Priory stand on a headland above the River Tyne. Between them they..... (5.8 miles, 9.3 km, direction S)
.. (9.1 miles, 14.7 km, direction SW)
On returning from a raid into Scotland, Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror built a castle calling it his `New..... (9.5 miles, 15.3 km, direction SW)
The Baltic Centre is a new £46m art gallery on the banks of the Tyne and is the latest evidence of the area's growing cultural..... (9.6 miles, 15.4 km, direction SW)
The magnificent cathedral church of St. Nicholas has stood at the heart of Newcastle for many centuries. Its superb lantern.....All attractions in Seaton SluiceAll attractions in NorthumberlandComplete A to Z of attractions in England