It is often said, in spite of the fact Queen Victoria spent much of her time at Balmoral in the Scottish highlands, that Osborne House in its lovely setting overlooking the waters of the Solent, was her favourite home.
Victoria married her cousin Prince Albert in 1840, and four years after, with a growing family they felt the need for a retreat which would afford them a degree of privacy away from the heavy burdens of state. They discovered Osborne House, and although it was not ideal, they fell in love with the landscape and the views. They rented the property for about a year before purchasing it in 1845, when the Prince set about a massive program of rebuilding.
The grand house we see today was master-minded by Prince Albert and his builder Thomas Cubit. It is an extravaganza of Italianate design, providing comfortable luxurious accommodation set amidst magnificent grounds with terraces, fountains and statutory leading down to an idyllic private beach where the Royal couple spent happy hours with their children and entertaining Royalty from around the world. To give the seclusion they craved, hundreds of trees were planted in the grounds. Also, in the surrounding parkland a playhouse in the form of a Swiss Chalet was built for the Royal children.
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were so attached to Osborne, when the Prince died in 1861, the Queen gave orders that nothing should change there, thus Osborne became a shrine to the memory of Prince Albert.
The Prince's desk remains just as it was when he died and even though the Queen spent much of her time here after Albert's death, very little altered. Queen Victoria died here in 1901. Osborne remains almost exactly as it was then with family photographs and paintings still in situ, together with a scattering of the Royal couples personal possessions, preserving for us a valuable insight into a relaxed Royal family life away from the formality of the Royal court.
This very special Royal home can be found a short distance from Cowes on the Isle of Wight, it is open to the public and is well worth seeing.
in the county of Isle of Wight(1.7 miles, 2.8 km, direction NW)
The most famous yachting resort in the world. Cowes dates back to Tudor times and is divided in two by the River Medina, creating East and West Cowes..
in the county of Isle of Wight(3.4 miles, 5.5 km, direction S)
County Town, being sited on the River Medina, about 5 miles from the sea. Despite its name, the town became the 'New Port' and was given its charter by Richard de Revers, Lord of the Island, as early as 1180...
in the county of Isle of Wight(4.7 miles, 7.6 km, direction E)
One of the Island's most popular resorts and is situated on the north-east coast. The town is the first port of call from the mainland on the south-east side...
in the county of Isle of Wight(4.7 miles, 7.6 km, direction SW)
Carisbrooke sits close to Newport on the lovely Isle of Wight...
in the county of Hampshire(6.8 miles, 10.9 km, direction NW)
Standing close to the saltmarshes and creeks along the Beaulieu River, in an area of outstanding natural beauty, Exbury must be one of the most captivating villages for miles around...All towns in Isle of Wight
The ruins of Quarr Abbey can be found close to the entrance of Wooten Creek, a pretty waterway used by small fishing boats and.....
The castle is where the Roundheads kept King Charles I a prisoner from 1647 until shortly before his execution on 30 January.....
This is a spectacular garden hidden in pleasant countryside overlooking the Beaulieu River in the New Forest. The.....