Pictures of Epping
This delightful Market town is recorded in the Domesday Book, it is referred to as the Manor of Eppinga, conferred upon the Monks and Abbots of Waltham Abbey, by King Harold.
In 1235, King Henry III granted a charter for a weekly market and two fairs of three days each, to the Abbot and Cannons of Waltham Holy Cross. In these days Epping also had a statute fair held on October 11th for the hiring of servants.
Henry VIII was a frequent visitor to Waltham Abbey, and he hunted with the monks at Epping Forest where they owned the Hunting Park of Copped Hall. Legend tells us that it is here, on the morning of May 19th 1536, Henry paced up and down, waiting for the distant roar of the cannon from the Tower of London. This was the signal that Anne Boleyn had been executed. At the signal, Henry climbed onto his horse and rode to Theobolds in Waltham Cross to Jane Seymour, who he married very soon after.
Queen Elizabeth 1st was a frequent visitor to Epping. It was in 1575 on a visit to Thomas Heneage at Copped Hall that the Queen costituted him Clerk of the Market with his heirs forever, she also granted further market rights. On the forest's south western edge stands Queen Elizabeths Hunting Lodge, a timber framed, lath and plaster building thought to have been erected towards the end of the 15th-century so that the Sovereign of the day could enjoy a grandstand view of the chase.
The turbulent days of Henry VIII are well documented, as is the more peaceful reign of his daughter Queen Elizabeth 1st. None-the-less, both these periods are oft recalled for their colourful romantic times. In Tudor times, Epping was surrounded by a number of manor's owned by knights and gentlemen and as you wander through this great forest you can easily imagine Kings, Queens, Knights and Ladies, all in grand attire, enjoying the thrill of a good day's sport. What stirring deeds this forest must have witnessed!
In spite of its close proximity to London, Epping has retained it's own identity as a Market town of considerable charm. Of the gracious buildings to be seen are Winchelsea House and Epping Place both date 18th-century and are situate in the High Road. After having served as a Keeper's lodge for a number of years Queen Elizabeth's hunting lodge now houses the Epping Forest Museum.