Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Duke

Piccadilly

in the county of Greater London

Pittville Pump Room in Cheltenham

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dazed and confused!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

robinm
robinm
quotePosted at 22:22 on 18th April 2013
Hello all, I am planning a trip to England at the end of August this year for about 12-13 days. I would like advice on places to see and things to do. We will arrive in London and spend maybe 2 days there. My son is in the Air Force based in Mildenhall, Suffolk. I would like recommendations on things to see and do in that area. My son has a car, but I don't want him to have to drive everywhere. I am also interested in taking the train to other areas and a day or two in Scotland. I love the history of England. I would love to see old castles and beautiful gardens. My mother-in-law is traveling with me and she loves to shop. Thank you so much for your help.    
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:31 on 18th April 2013

Good Evenin Robin and welcome to the site-if you to the left of the page you will find mounds of information regarding places to visit.

You will need more than 12-13 days to see the places you have mentioned.-if you need any more information just ask --the members on here are very helpful and will be pleased to help.Smile

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:38 on 18th April 2013

Hi Robinm, and welcome to POE, just the place to be for a trip to England, look out for places  to see with all the great photos here, info tucked away everywhere and if you need to book places to stay do it through the POE facility for good deals. If you are going to be at Mildenhall for a while, just North is Sandringham one of the Queens residences with I believe you can visit. If you wish to visit castles you MUST visit Castle Rising Castle- check it out this is a very special place to us and I am sure you would enjoy it. A little further on if you get to Norwich there is another Castle and a cathedral.

I worked at USAF Mildenhall back in the 1970s for a short while in my surveying days, I am sure I would not recognise it now.

Anyway welcome and I hope your plans come together. 

robinm
robinm
quotePosted at 22:45 on 18th April 2013
Thank you Vince and James for the quick replies. James--maybe I am being a little over zealous with my plans? Of course I do want to see and do as much as possible. But not to the extent that we are totally exhausted at the end of the trip. I think if we can see a few places using Mildenhall as a hub for a few days would be great. My son can drive us around from there.  Then take the train north for a couple of more stops. Suggestions on riding the train? Places to see in northern England?   
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:18 on 19th April 2013

Hi Robin; Near the Essex/Suffolk border is Flatford Mill around Dedham Vale. The area painter John Constable painted some of his most famous landscapes. A nice area to visit. 

Used to listen to the USAF KC-135's operating out of Mildenhall a few years back on the radios. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:59 on 19th April 2013
Welcome to POE Robin, from Anna and Ron.
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 15:42 on 19th April 2013
Hi Robin I agree with Vince's suggestions of places to visit also you may be interested in Framlingham with it's castle and weird shaped buildings, but do look at the pics on here of many wonderful places to visit, I think you need an extended holiday !!!
robinm
robinm
quotePosted at 03:27 on 15th May 2013
Well, I'm back for more advice. I have made flight reservations and will be in London September 2. As I said before I want to spend time near Mildenhall, maybe 3 days. Then take nearest train (Cambridge?) And head towards Cotswolds, and Bath for the remainder of trip (7 days). Comments or suggestions on places to see and train travel are appreciated. 
Cheri Thomas
Cheri Thomas
quotePosted at 03:56 on 18th May 2013

Hi Robin,  If you want to see the Cotswolds, I recommend Castle Coombe, Lacock, Bibury and Lower Slaughter to mention just a few.  Bourton-on-water is very pretty but very touristy.  You really need a car though.  Do you have any problem with driving?  It truly is not that hard for us Americans.  LOL  Cirencester is a great place to stay.  It's centrally located so you can do day trips.  Stonehenge, Avebury and Chedworth Roman Villa are also within easy driving distance of Cirencester.

If I can be of any help at all, don't hesitate to contact me off the site at uktours4u@gmail.com.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:12 on 18th May 2013
Nice to see you here in the forum again Cheri...where have you been and how is the touring business going?