Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

High Street, Dedham

Dedham

a Picturesque Village in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Warts and all?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Phil Jobson
Phil Jobson
quotePosted at 13:15 on 22nd July 2016
Point and Shoot!!  We are not professional photographers. What is captured is captured. End of story. And as we all know, the results are more than remarkable!!!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:56 on 22nd July 2016

I respect your views Phil. I very much doubt that many if any professionals contribute to this site. Submitting one's best work should be the norm rather than for example, adding multiple shots that maybe are best not shared.

Point and shoot is not for me. Sorry, I just think the viewer deserves better. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:22nd July 2016 14:34
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:13 on 22nd July 2016

Most modern digital cameras give very reasonable results in point-and-shoot mode, but are not telepathic, and will be fooled by difficult lighting conditions. However, if all you take are averagely exposed scenes, then point-and-shoot is probably adequate. It is also sometimes the only mode you can use when getting a grab shot, where capturing a fleeting moment is of greater importance than quality.

Where there is more time, some tweaking of the camera settings (usually exposure +/-, focus point and white balance) can yield a better result, but this is a matter of personal choice. Good results can often be achieved without such tweaking, but I agree with Rod that getting the best result should be the target. The original idea of the thread was that the basic image could be improved over what the in-camera processing gave you. I am with Rod on this, but it is a matter of personal choice. 

PS Even the most basic of 'point-and-shoot' digital cameras give the option of adjusting the camera settings, although the settings menu on a basic camera  is often not so accessible as on a semi-professional camera. This might explain the reluctance of some photographers to progress beyond 'point-and-shoot'. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:22nd July 2016 22:59
 Please login to post to this thread...