Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Oswaldtwistle Town Hall & Civic Theater, Union Road, Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle

in the county of Lancashire

Old River Dee Bridge on River Dee leading to Lower Bridge St Chester - August 2009

Chester

a Historic City in the county of Cheshire

Mitre Inn, Hampton Court Bridge, East Molesey

East Molesey

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Favourite lens

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:30 on 14th March 2015
On 13th March 2015 10:26, Dave John wrote:
As mentioned previously I have an adaptor for my FD lenses the only thing being that it puts you back to 'semi-auto' or manual operation .... which in these days of full automation is not a bad thing. Certainly slows you down when taking pictures.

Manual focus itself does not bother me, in fact I often manually focus even with an auto-focus lens, it is the process of manually stopping down of the old lenses after focussing which is time-consuming.

Some Canon EF lenses offer Full Time Manual focussing, which means the user can 'tweak' the focus slightly while still in AF mode, after the auto-focus has done most of the work. This is for me one of the attractions of the Canon lenses. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:14th March 2015 16:56
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:34 on 14th March 2015
On 13th March 2015 10:09, Edward Lever wrote:
On 12th March 2015 22:25, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
 Canon for me. It is the thing you start with one and do tend to stay with the one marque. If they all made one standard lens mount it would be good for us lot but it would make life difficult for the camera brands. Having said that went from film Canon to digital but do not use the two lenses I had from those days any more.

I don't know how old your Canon lenses are which you used with film, Vince, but if they are Canon 'EF' lenses, they will work with every Canon DSLR (except the very recent EF-M mirrorless cameras). The 'EF' lenses were introduced in 1987, and I still use some Canon lenses of that era on my DSLRS.

The good thing about the Canon EF lenses (rather than Canon fit lenses from third-party manufacturers) is that they will work with every Canon EOS Camera ever made, whether it be film or digital. If your Canon lenses are pre-EF (eg FD mount) then you could only use them with some sort of adaptor. 

Evening Edward and sorry for not coming straight back, I do have the two old lenses from my Canon film camera and they were only the twin kit lenses and not the usm either. Putting them on the 550D did work but neither has IS and the crop effect meant the field of view was not as wide so they tended to stay in the bag and when I got the 55-250 they did not seem to come out again. I also have the teeny tiny 40 mm stm which is an interesting lens in the right situation.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 15:07 on 15th March 2015

Yes, Vince, using the old film EF lenses on a crop-sensor camera often results in a not-very-useful angle of view. There are a couple of exceptions though, my favourite being the 24 - 85 EF USM f/3.5-4.5 which came out in 1996.

Good used examples of that lens are still around for not much more than £100.  I have found it to be useful on both full-frame and crop sensor cameras.

Patrick Hogan
Patrick Hogan
quotePosted at 09:55 on 24th April 2015

In a recent comment on this image Rod said "Great capture with such a long lens."

The lens used was a Nikon 200mm f/4 ED-IF AF Micro-NIKKOR, another of my 'inherited' lenses. It is described as "the dream lens of bug photographers"....... A full review here. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200mm-micro.htm

It has a Working Distance: 10.2" (260mm), the distance between the subject and the front of the lens at 1:1.

Spring Peacock, Chepstow.
Picture by Patrick Hogan

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 13:27 on 24th April 2015
Thanks for posting this info Patrick. It's a cracking shot.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:56 on 25th April 2015
Owning a lens such as Patrick has the good fortune to possess no doubt increases the chance of a good shot, but skill is still required to get the desired result. It is rather like saying the creator of an excellent meal must have a good set of saucepans. It certainly helps, but it is not the whole story.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:22 on 26th April 2015
Well said Edward. I still think getting a close up result with a long lens rather than a true macro is good, requiring a steady hand. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:26th April 2015 01:20
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4