Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Shooting in RAW (was old digital cameras)

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:22 on 6th August 2013

Hi John, well at least you are on your way with it. To be fair you won't see much difference looking on the screen on the camera because what you see there is a JPEG. the difference comes when you start to process the RAW file on the computer.

If you have a look at the current issue of Digital Photo they have done an excellent introduction to using RAW and also an accompanying DVD which is well worth looking at if you want to understand it a bit more. As with most things it looks far worse than it is. best got on with some work now and catch you later....

DIGITAL PHOTO  ISSUE 171       girl in a boat on the cover.....

Edited by: Dave John at:6th August 2013 19:30
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:20 on 6th August 2013

Before going to the expense of Elememt 11 which is around £70 i think try downloading FASTSTONE it is a programme that can read most RAW files and gives similar options to Elements but maybe not quite as sophistcated......... and it is FREE ! ! !

www.faststone.org/FSViewer  or just type FASTSTONE in Google and choose the FSViewer download.

The RAW file size is so big simply because of the amount of information gathered  as oppossed to the 'in camera processed' jpeg. When you have done basic adjustments to your RAW file you then save it as a jpeg which automatically reduces the sizeof the file. BUT you have far more detail in that jpeg that would be in the 'in camera' processed one. As has been said before John, always think of your RAW file as the negative you used to put in your enlarger. It always stays the same and you can make as many different versionsof the image as you like. Hope that makes sense. But also you should have a CD or DVD with your camera which somewhere will have the camera manufactures own RAW converter mayb worth looking for that, cos that will open your RAW files for certain. Most adjustments in RAW editors are simple sliders, although ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which comes with Elements does have other options aswell, but the majority work on sliders so you can see the effect and adjust it accordingly to your own taste before saving to jpeg. A difficult subject to explain quickly but i hope you understand a bit more now. Any further questions please ask

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:39 on 6th August 2013

Just checked the Faststone site John and it does support Panasonic RAW files in the format ' RW2 ' that is the 3 digits that follow whatever record your camera gives you  ie..    image 1234.RW2     as opposed to a jpeg which would be     image 1234.jpg   

Panasonics own programme   Silkypix Developer Studio    should be on the disc you would have got with the camera. If you can't find that try looking at the panasonic site at the following link 

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/silkypix

somewhere on the site there should be an option to download the Silkypix programme

Just think how you learned to ride a bike ..... that was daunting at first with someone holding the saddle for you, but with a bit of perseverance you were away on your own........ Getting to grips with RAW is a bit like that....... once you've got the basics you will never look back. 

I was very wary before I started using RAW cos it seemed so complicated but now I shoot 95% in RAW. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:10 on 6th August 2013

That's good news John. Keep on playing, because the diferences you can get are amazing. I'm not 100% up on the workings of Faststone as I tend to use it mainly as a viewer but occasioanlly have a dabble in colour or contrast just to get an idea before going intp Photoshop. But the programme does get very good reports, knocking 5 star ratings on the download sites....... so must be OK. One of the most useful tabs is 'CURVES' it is quite a powerful little thing and can give superb contrast changes.

But keep on thinking that the RAW file is your negative and that you want to get the best out of it that you can. I don't think I ever printed a negative without some ducking and diving somewhere.....

Above all have fun with it

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:55 on 8th August 2013

No problem mate will have look before starting work in the morning and get back to you. To upload to poe you will have to save pics as jpeg. Am on my phone now. Did you use Faststone?

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:22 on 8th August 2013
No it wont, you will have to put it up as normal into your pages then transfer to the thread for further discussion
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:27 on 8th August 2013
You have to upload to your pages first then transfer to the forum thread for further discussion. Just had a quick peek and seems ok to me

Edited by: Dave John at:9th August 2013 07:20
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:27 on 9th August 2013
If you go about it sensibly John you will see great improvements in detail. RAW files hold far more detail that the 'in-camera' processed jpeg. My camera produces RAW File of between 18-25 mb as compared to the 'in-camera' jpegs at around 6 mb. So you can see the amount of detail that can be lost in camera. That is not saying that 'in-camera' is poor but just indicates what is available if you want to go down the RAW route. Don't rush with it, try the same image with a few different RAW settings and then compare the results. Obviously RAW processing means more time in front of the PC but is rewarding in the end.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:57 on 10th August 2013

You might to try this one John, it is Panasonics own programme of which a version should have been on the cd that came with the camera.....if one did!!!

It should be a free download but you may have to register.

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/englis...port/download/

It will be a lot more sophisticated than FASTSTONE and thus give you for more control over the final result

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 15:20 on 10th August 2013
Been trying top find you something better than FASTSTONE (which is very basic as an editor) and stumbled across this on a Google seach. And as it a programme that gets bundled with Panasonic cameras it should do the trick quite nicely. I don't know the programme but a lot of what it does will be similar to Elements and Photoshop so don't hesitate to ask any questions,