Piccadilly

in the county of Greater London

Chipping Ongar town sign

Chipping Ongar

in the county of Essex

Kingsbury Water Park, Warwickshire

Kingsbury

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Somthing is missing from POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:01 on 18th March 2010

I do hope you are all busy taking great english food photo's for us "ex pats and overseas interested parties!" Great project for those rainy days when you can't get out!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:46 on 23rd March 2010
Oh dear!  Still waiting in eager anticipation, there are photos of wild flowers, countryside, birds & bees, seaside, rivers, buildings of every imaginable variety, crazy sculptures, funny pictures, sunrises/sets/moons, gardens etcetera, etcetera, etcetera -----------------  but still only 2 real photos of English food.  Come on people don't you eat English food?
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:04 on 23rd March 2010

It is almost Easter and there are some special foods associated with this festival: Hardboiled coloured eggs and of course the chocolate eggs and bunnies, Hot Cross Buns and Simnel Cake & Roast Lamb.

How about starting off with photos of these and Stephanie can add them to her "Easter" Custom Tour (and of course my "Food" tour)!Laughing

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:36 on 24th March 2010
Bettys Dougal cakes
Picture by Paul Lakin

I've seen reviews in magazines for this bakery in York.  I don't know who Dougal is, but he sure is cute!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 05:41 on 24th March 2010
Hi Ruth, nice to see you.  Dougal was a "dog" in the children's TV programme "The Magic Roundabout" in the late 60's early 70's (my son loved watching it).  Have no idea though if it is still on TV.  Except for the fact Dougal was not chocolate coloured the cakes look really good! It is one of the few photos in the "Food" tour.
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 12:59 on 24th March 2010
On 23rd March 2010 19:46, cathyml wrote:
 Come on people don't you eat English food?

Hahaha! :-) I'd send you pictures but I don't make any traditional English meals.

BTW no one has answered my question from a while back: what is a bacon butty?

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 13:09 on 24th March 2010
A bacon butty is a roll (or bap) buttered (lots of butter) with fried bacon right out of the pan (so that it melts the said butter). I like it with a huge dollop of HP sauce.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:12 on 24th March 2010

Hi Ifzielinski, If I remember rightly a bacon butty is fried/grilled bacon put betweeen two slices of buttered bread or rolls. 

I remember chip buttys as well, where we took the fried chips and put them into a sandwich.  Mind you we were kids at the time so probably anything goes! 

We did the same with potato crisps. 

Who remembers the packets of crisps (I think they were Smiths crisps) when you used to get the salt wrapped in a little blue paper.  I'm sure they tasted better than the pre salted ones now!!

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 15:35 on 24th March 2010

Cathy,

I came across this website, http://www.francisfrith.com/shop/books/taste/ and there is a new Regional Recipes series and a County Memories series. Thought you might be interested.

Lara

Edited by: lfzielinski at:24th March 2010 15:37
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 12:32 on 25th March 2010

Hi,

One really traditional  English dish is the wonderful pork pie. I've taken one, a fine beast with some pickle just prior to being cut and eaten by yours truly, helped down by a traditional pint of Englisd Ale. The pie in question is a traditional hand raised pie taken in The Lion Tavern, Liverpool. I'll submit it to POE now. Hope it's approved.