Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

'Pretty in Pink' Woolpit, Suffolk

Woolpit

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Let's help each other

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 13:14 on 29th March 2009
Thanks Paul your a mine of information, hope other members are finding your tips as useful as I am.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:20 on 30th March 2009

Hi Sally:  I should probably be the last person advising you on Photography, since I'm such a rank amateur.  All my pics on this site are simply tourist pictures.  I think for the most part, I'm pretty good with composition, but hopelessly clueless when it comes to the technical stuff.  I'm not a serious enough photographer to invest a lot of money in expensive equipment or software, but I do like to play around a little with color correcting.  I use a free download program called Infranview.  It's very low tech and can probably do a lot more than I've yet discovered, but I think there's a good many of the pics I've sent here that I probably wouldn't have submitted if I'd not corrected them a bit with Infrnview.

This shot of yours is brilliant, Sally.

Half timbered building
Picture by Sally Birch

I absolute love it!  As for the color, I find it a bit too green.  I downloaded it to my computer and ran it thru Infranview, adding a bit of blue and I think it looks probably more true to life. What do you think?

AvoncroftMuseumBromsgroveWorcesters.jpg picture by ruthyg_photos

Edited by: Ruth Gregory at:30th March 2009 06:21
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:22 on 30th March 2009

Paul, you sure are a little cutie!!!

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:26 on 30th March 2009
Sally, when I mess around with colors like that, I just try to enhance the shot for whatever suits my mood.  Some shots look good super saturated, and some look better with a little tweak to the contrast or color balance.
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 10:01 on 30th March 2009
Sue I think you may well have a point. Although I am not a "teckie" either I am aware of a thing called monitor colour calibration (hope I've got this right) and that an image will look different according to the calibration of each monitor it is viewed on, Sometimes I am disappointed not only with some of my own images but also those of others where on my machine the colours either look too washed out or too bright to the point of being lurid. I have also found that I have been satisfield with the colour of an image before uploading to POE only to find when I have viewed it on POE there has been a slight colour change. Of course subjectivity must also play its part. I understand that it is possible to colour calibrate my monitor, but also that it needs to be updated regularly and that it would only deal with my own images view on my monitor Last but not least I understand the software is quite expensive. Thank you for your comments and the effort you have put into advising me I am most grateful, it will certainly help me to keep colour adjustment in mind in the future.Smile
Anthony Vardy
Anthony Vardy
quotePosted at 21:10 on 23rd January 2010

Hi 

I have read all the above posts with I have say no surprise and it seams to me that most people are missing the point on what basic photography for the armature is all about.

The camera only captures the image it does not take the image

The image is taken by the person looking through the view finder

So the image your camera captures is the image you have told it to

And instead of using any cheap and nasty PC imaging software

why not set the camera up properly in the first place to get the image you want

the photographer is in charge of the camera not the camera in charge of the photographer so if the image you put onto your PC is not what you wanted

go take it again 

people today seam not to want to take an image for what it is

they have to turn it into something its not 

A.S.V 

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 22:36 on 23rd January 2010

Wow ASV! Your comments should certainly stir up a response. Photographers have been adjusting images since the birth of photography and there is little difference now that most of us have moved to digital cameras, just different techniques to learn.

I am newcomer to digital and in particular to RAW files and I consider good imaging software a neccessity as Raw files by design need at least some minor tweaking.

I have been and still am very grateful for the advice received via this and other threads on the POE Forum and I'm sure I'm not alone in this so I hope contributors who have some advice to give will keep on giving.

Anthony Vardy
Anthony Vardy
quotePosted at 00:05 on 24th January 2010

Looks like a little truth still rubs against the grain with adobe software users Cool

The only photographers that have been adjusting images since the birth of photography are the ones that can't do it right in the first place Tongue out

But it would appear you are taking images in Raw format

Then I must take my hat off to you because you must have a nice camera

that is capable of doing such a thing 

such as a  Canon EOS 1D Mk 1V or a Nikon D3 which both support

In-camera RAW processing saves time in post-production by enabling JPEG compression, Size, White Balance, Exposure Compensation, Picture Control, Noise Reduction, Color space and Vignette Control image settings to be applied to RAW (NEF) files in the camera. 

So do accept my apology

Your very good friend

A.S.V Laughing 

Anthony Vardy
Anthony Vardy
quotePosted at 00:08 on 24th January 2010
ps I know cos I have both
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:46 on 24th January 2010

Sally does take some amazing photos Anthony - her close ups are some of the best on here and they look pretty original to me - she never over processes if she does alter them at all. Her only fault is she doesn't realise how naturally good she is!

However I do agree with you about altering images - the only altering I tend to do is cropping and tend to do that on my camera. I am not very technical - in fact I am a bit techno-phobic and I hate instructions so I am no help in any of the technical threads. I treat photography like art rather than science and believe in a moment captured just as mother nature intended it to look.