Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Copyright licence

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dominic Shaw
Dominic Shaw
quotePosted at 10:40 on 9th March 2009

Is it possible to buy a licence to reproduce photos ? A large file would be needed possibly in RAW format to allow the pictures to be blown up to a decent size. I am only thinking of one off use in the decoration of an elderly persons sheltered housing scheme and it would be nice to use local photos from the Stafford area to decorate corridors in A1 size picture panels. I'm the architect for the project and would welcome any thoughts on this idea.

many thanks,

Dominic Shaw

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:05 on 9th March 2009
As far as I'm concerned Dominic you may use any of my pictures without a licence, i'd love others to see them. some posters on here want copyright but I'm sure if you ask the poster for permission to reproduce any of their work as a one-off, being the kind of friendly people we are I'm sure they'd let you use it for free. My advice is coose the pics you like and ask the posters permission. (or you could just be naughty and risk downloading them anyway) i find it polite to ask first. As I say you may download any that I take, if you like them.
Dominic Shaw
Dominic Shaw
quotePosted at 12:45 on 9th March 2009

Michael, Thanks for that. I shall contact the photographers directly. Thank you for your very generous offer to use your pictures without charge.

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 16:01 on 9th March 2009

I'm intrigued to know which sheltered accomodation it is???  I may well have been here whilst at work!! As for photos, I wouldn't mind but the ones uploaded to PoE are small files, as for RAW i'm not sure if it would be needed, I shoot some in RAW but convert to save them, they are still big files and will blow up to A1 size! well they should do anyway!!!

Dominic Shaw
Dominic Shaw
quotePosted at 16:20 on 9th March 2009

Jason,

It's for Doxey House in Doxey just west of the town centre.

I'm not much of a photograper myself but would a large JPEG file be adequate then for a decent reproduction?

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 16:34 on 9th March 2009

Well..... you know i'm not 100% but when i upload RAW files they have to be converted to use on the PC, and then save as JPEGs, so i'm guessing really!! the RAW file is still on the PC but has to be converted to use i think???  oh i'm sure there's someone on here cleverer than me at this sort of stuff!!! I just press the button on top of the camera!! Laughing  a RAW file is everything, so you have the whole 'negative' and i think then needs to be altered to be used??

I know where abouts you mean too!! I cover Stafford at work sometimes! Smile

Dominic Shaw
Dominic Shaw
quotePosted at 09:25 on 11th March 2009
Thanks Jason. I'm sure the photographers will know what to send if agreeable.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:26 on 11th March 2009

Hi,

Great idea. But RAW files might not be the answer as whoever has the file to convert into a poster might run the risk of changing the image to a degree that the photographer might feel is not a representation of his or her work. Had I lived in the area of Stafford and had stock pictures I would have rather have sent my images to you Dominic in a TIFF format (rather than JPEGS which are compressed) as they are "lossless" in quality and then you could then convert to a poster through the kind offices of the poster firm. When converting RAW images one has the option of TIFF or compressed JPEGS. Most tend to use JPEGS as the files are very much smaller & take up more disc space. As the old saying goes however "There aint no such thing a free lunch" as quality is lost as soon as an image is turned into a JPEG.  Downloading from this site would not (I think) give you a quality to convert to a poster size.   

To have local images displayed like this is a truly wonderful idea and it would promote England as well.

Good luck.

Rod. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:11th March 2009 09:28
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:32 on 11th March 2009

Good response Rod, thank you on behalf of all POE members.

>>>To have local images displayed like this is a truly wonderful idea and it would promote England as well.

It would also promote PicturesOfEngland.com and the photographer, great idea!!

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:12 on 11th March 2009

Thanks Ron. I did mean Pictures Of England which is a "window" into our great country. All photographers get a kick out of seeing their work on walls, sites and published. Great site.

Cheers!

Rod.