Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

South Harting, Sussex

South Harting

in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quality

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:17 on 3rd April 2019
We've tried to keep to a certain standard recently and been a bit more strict on what we approve on the site. Hopefully you've noticed the quality has improved in recent weeks?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:31 on 4th April 2019

Hopefully the upward trend will continue. I have always thought that the acceptance criteria of the image should be technical competency at the very least, ideally combined with something uniquely interesting about the image. The emphasis should be on quality rather than quantity. Closing the tap a little to allow the gems to shine forth is a very welcome move. Contributors can also help by being more self-critical of their own work before uploading. I am rarely satisfied with my own work and therefore contribute relatively few images to PoE.

poe
quotePosted at 17:26 on 4th April 2019
Thanks Edward, your input is very much appreciated.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 06:54 on 10th April 2019
On 4th April 2019 17:26, poe wrote:
Thanks Edward, your input is very much appreciated.

Your policy seems to be paying off. There have been some excellent submissions recently.
poe
quotePosted at 12:52 on 10th April 2019
Glad you've been enjoying them Edward. The site is definitely all the better for it.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:03 on 3rd May 2019

This is all very encouraging, and I'm delighted that the issue of image quality is now being addressed. I'm certainly no great photographer, but the quality of pictures allowed here had sharply dipped in my view, It had, in fact put me off submitting pictures. I've expressed this before in the forums here, and came to the sad conclusion that I was out of step with the general concensus of the contributing photographers. With reluctance and certainly regret, I stopped submitting pictures. 

I'd love to add more pictures soon. Edward Lever has always been more than willing to share his views on the forum threads. A lively forum would be so good to see too. 

My opinion is that POE should be a shop window into our beautiful United Kingdom, and the picture content needs to be good enough to do just that. Quality before quantity. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:22 on 3rd May 2019
Hi Rod, it's good to see you renewing your links with PoE, and contributing your valuable opinions. PoE has been around a long time now and I hope it is on its way to recovery. I hope the quality uplift will continue and you will feel inclined to submit more of your pictures.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:4th May 2019 12:51
poe
quotePosted at 12:41 on 5th May 2019
It's great to see you Rod, and your input has always been appreciated and taken onboard. It really means a lot to Sarah and I that both you and Edward have stuck with the site, even if not participating fully, you've still stayed close by and we appreciate that.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:23 on 6th May 2019
I hope to be participating more in the future.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:32 on 19th May 2019

I can't help but notice that batch submissions of repetitive image are still being posted and approved here. It cannot be easy moderating this site, but I really would love to see people being more selective when putting large numbers of images onto POE all at once. We should all look at our work and seriously ask "Is anyone else going to find 30 odd mediocre snaps interesting? Will I ever look at them again myself?"  

It is incredibly off putting and boring.

Does anyone else agree?  

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:19th May 2019 15:34