Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Thatcher Exposed

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 20:31 on 5th January 2014

Under the 30 year rule Cabinet papers have now been released.  Thatcher has been exposed for her lying, she WAS planning to close over 70 coal mines, and nearly called in the troops during the miners strike.

This dreadful woman caused the biggest breakdown in English society ever, we have still not recovered.  She destroyed the unions and took away workers rights.  

Arthur Scargill was aware of her evil plan and he became a victim of Thatcher's thugs in uniform.  Scargill stood up for working class people, the treatment he received bought shame upon this country.  A true working class hero who should have been knighted, a man of real integrity.

At least some people may now be aware of what an evil witch Thatcher was now the truth is out.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:12 on 5th January 2014

I think you have to look back to the 60s and particularly, the 70s, to see where Thatcher was coming from when she was elected in 1979. There's nothing new from the papers released as Mick stated above, you could have read about in books about Scargill/Thatcher.

She did what Labour had proposed, but shelved, under Harold Wilson with Barbara Castle's White Paper of 1969 entitled In Place Of Strife to propose a change in the law to curb trade union power.  

PM Ted Heath was humiliatingly defeated by the miners and forced to agree to their demands in the early 70s; then Labour PM Jim Callaghan came a cropper during the so-called Winter of Discontent getting grief from public sector workers which would virtually give the 1979 election to Thatcher, who then showed her hand that her government wasn't going to be brought down by unions.

During this battle for power, things certainly changed in the 80s in many ways, a lot of it pretty much forever. There were big social changes taking place during her term of office; some good, some bad. I think the unions, as leaders of other countries too, had under-estimated her. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:5th January 2014 23:14
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:40 on 6th January 2014

Interesting posts, but in reality should the tail be allowed to wag the dog? I don't think so.

I also think the Unions did need reigning in and possibly still do, in the interest of us all.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:00 on 6th January 2014

Just an interesting bit of info about Mr Scargill you may or may not know. His daughter who is now I believe in her late forties, was educated at a very exclusive public school not half a mile from where I'm sat now. She was there for six years to my knowledge and registered under her mothers maiden name. 

The fees for this school stand now at around £25,000 per year, I work that out at around £150,000 for a 6 year term.  It will have been less then but it's all relative to earnings at the time. I don't know many parents that can afford that. Nobody around here can afford to send their children to this school.

Edited by: rustyruth at:6th January 2014 21:01
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:05 on 6th January 2014

He also travelled round in a chaufer driven Rolls Royce but made the last 10 miles or so to picket lines via other means of transport

Unions are OK if not abused by the people at the top...... The death of the shipping industry in Hull is partly down to the unions. Whenever the docks in Liverpool came out on strike we could time it almost to the minute before we got a call from the offices on the docks that meeting had been called.Always mid morning so that the afternoon was free ! ! ! 

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 21:43 on 6th January 2014

Not all faults lie at the doors of the Unions when they witness day in day out wastage by politicians, the greedy bankers bonuses paid out and overpaid council officials.

The greatness of Great Briton was built on industry which has been eroded by successive governments, leadership starts at the top they should lead by example.

Keep wages down they say 2 or 3% max then answer me this why do politicians need a10% increase which is about 6500 per year set against a industrial opperative at 3% on 20000 which is 600

Everyone has to eat, pay the same for water and electricity, fuel  and rates.

The whole system requires a massive shake up no wonder the Unions complain, its the unfairness in soceity that is to blame, we see now that house prices are begining to rise again, this only supports the greedy estate agents it brings no value into the country whatsoever it just brings misery to the youngsters starting out in life, now having to find 30 to 40 thousand to even start on the housing ladder.

I am not a pro Union fan as during my business life the full weight of the Union closed my works for a week, but I can certainly see their point of view with regards to what is going on at the top of the pile at the moment.      

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 13:00 on 15th January 2014

Our readers might be interested to know that our working-class hero was a fan of Margaret Thatcher's policy on Council House purchase

Scargill used Thatcherite Policy in bid to buy London flat 

Ian Broadbent
Ian Broadbent
quotePosted at 23:51 on 18th January 2014

Mrs thatcher made my skin crawl,she had al the warmth and charm of a bad apple.

Astonishing how such a person came to hold the reigns of power,she ran the country like an excersize in accounting and destroyed this countrys soul and made greed and selfisnness acceptable,a great leader agreed but her morals and values were horrendou

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:00 on 19th January 2014
I think the same about those who purport to lead us now Ian. We need change and it's coming soon make no mistake, big change by way of Nigel Farage and UKIP!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:06 on 19th January 2014
On 18th January 2014 23:51, Ian broadbent wrote:

Mrs thatcher made my skin crawl,she had al the warmth and charm of a bad apple.

Looking at the old youtube videos of Margaret Thatcher in Parliament makes you realise the strength of her own egotistical self-confidence. Possibly this was the least endearing aspect of her character, but made her good at standing up for Britain. Watching her cut the likes of Neil Kinnock to shreds made 'Spitting Image' look tame. Winning three elections in succession proved that her policies resonated with the majority of British people at the time.

Margaret Thatcher saw that a left-wing nanny state would destroy individuality and independence. She introduced the 'right to buy' scheme so many council tenants could enjoy the benefits and independence of home ownership. Many on the left exercised this right, such as our working class hero Arthur Scargill who tried to buy his flat at a knock-down price. Even though her style was unashamedly abrasive, she improved the wealth and prospects of many at that time, winning with the slogan 'Labour isn't Working'.

As for her morals, she was a firm believer in the liberty of the individual, in complete contrast to the beliefs of Labour. Personally, I think far more damage was done to Britain by Tony Blair and Gordon Brown than by any other politicians in history.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:19th January 2014 10:10