Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Boston

Boston

a Seaside Town in the county of Lincolnshire

Tram, Seaton, Devon.

Seaton

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postal strike for Christmas - you fools!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:19 on 22nd October 2009

Postal workers interviewed by the BBC in London this morning said they earned on average £18k per annum. Not a huge wage in this day and age, but one that people will queue up to take.

Beside's, as mentioned previously, who really needs the Royal Mail nowadays with electronic mail reaching the other side of the world in an instant?

Get back to work fools, whilst you still have a job!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Kimberly Carter
Kimberly Carter
quotePosted at 16:50 on 25th October 2009

As a postal worker in the states, I've rather enjoyed reading this thread and getting a different perspective from another country.  As a reluctant union member, I must say there was a time and a place for unions but I believe no more.

A new era is upon us and a we're in the midst of a societal shift.  While some people still use snail mail regularly, they are the minority.  Without high volumes of first class mail (letters), there is no profit or operating revenue to break even.  Mail (around the globe) must be retooled for a new era and the customers (ALL of us) must rethink what we're willing to pay for mail service and how much service to expect.  (Packages, letters, 6 day a week delivery, delivery to our home or a central distribution point?)  And the unions?  If they wish to continue their existence they must come into the 21st century.

My prayers are with the individuals and businesses that are impacted by the strike of such a necessary service.  May you find your way through this as we try to find our way through ours here in the states.

May god bless us all! 

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 18:42 on 25th October 2009

I hope they get this sorted out and get back to work.I can appreciate their needs and views on this, but there are far too many people in power who want the postal service eliminated, as they believe we have no need for them in this day n age. They are soooo wrong.It's true, Ron, that computers have taken over so much of our lives, but postal services is an aspect that we continue to need. It fills a gap of service that the computer can't. The computer can do many things, including  muck up and delivery of pkgs, cards, etc etc needs to have an actual person to handle that. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has a computer OR even cares to have one.Postal mail is a service we pay for, much like tv, phone,etc etc....and I supposed I have ragged on enough about this....but I do hope we can retain our postal services.

End of me ragging on...hehehehehehh.

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 18:44 on 25th October 2009
Some things work best ...left alone ..while other things work best ...with improvements.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:11 on 25th October 2009
On 25th October 2009 16:50, Kimberly Carter wrote:

As a postal worker in the states, I've rather enjoyed reading this thread and getting a different perspective from another country.  As a reluctant union member, I must say there was a time and a place for unions but I believe no more.

A new era is upon us and a we're in the midst of a societal shift.  While some people still use snail mail regularly, they are the minority.  Without high volumes of first class mail (letters), there is no profit or operating revenue to break even.  Mail (around the globe) must be retooled for a new era and the customers (ALL of us) must rethink what we're willing to pay for mail service and how much service to expect.  (Packages, letters, 6 day a week delivery, delivery to our home or a central distribution point?)  And the unions?  If they wish to continue their existence they must come into the 21st century.

My prayers are with the individuals and businesses that are impacted by the strike of such a necessary service.  May you find your way through this as we try to find our way through ours here in the states.

May god bless us all! 

Hi Kimberly, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. Great start here in the forum but hey, why not go to 'User Introductions' and do it again for a great welcome from the members? Either way enjoy this fabulous website and forum.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:17 on 26th October 2009

I think what you posted is very wise, Kimberly.  Welcome, btw.  I hope you love this site.  Yes, it's time for the postal services everywhere to innovate and come up with a new business model.  I think the postal service will always be needed, and I wouldn't mind having delivery only a few times per week if that would help things.

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 16:11 on 26th October 2009
Good idea Ruth ! and hi btw!
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 17:21 on 26th October 2009
I too wouldn't mind only receiving mail a few times per week, especially if it only contained cards, letters or tins of biscuits from friends and family, and skip the bills and junk mail.  As to the bills, I'm doing my part to go paperless.  (Pity I can't go bill-less!).
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:38 on 26th October 2009
Just tell 'Bill' to stay away Barbara!! Lol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:35 on 29th October 2009

So yet more strike days looming, when will they learn?

Last night it was reported on television that Royal Mail had 'plans in place' with scores of part time workers employed ready to deliver mail from strategic depots throughout the United Kingdom. And further, these depots are aside the sorting office's as known by the workers and/or Unions.

Royal Mail have apparently been quietly setting up distribution service points to get round the problems they face. I don't blame the Royal Mail and reckon they should now kick the Union out, allowing the workers to go back to work, to earn the cash that must surely soon impact on their lifestyle.

How many will lose their homes as a result of this strike, simply because they are unable to pay the mortgage? How many children (and adults for that matter) will suffer an unhappy Christmas? How many arguments will it create within the family home?

I say dump the Union, or at least ignore the leaders and get back to work fools!

Please login to post to this thread...