Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Pittville Pump Room in Cheltenham

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Anyone Have An English Honeymoon?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda Hawkins
Linda Hawkins
quotePosted at 08:18 on 9th April 2008
The Moribundian bit goes back many years when I used to play Sunday League football. I got banned for four matches after my boot had a disagreement with a rather inviting-looking shin pad. We had an important cup game coming up and I was persuaded to play under an assumed name....Leodis Moribundo! (We lost the game by the way :-( )
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:41 on 9th April 2008
Wow! That's quite the story. So much for my theory.
L
L
quotePosted at 20:46 on 9th April 2008
Thanks for explaining but who was Leodis Moribundo? Sorry for being a bit dense its me age ya know lol
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:51 on 9th April 2008
Ha! I googled the name and found a web page and I think it's Mori's as there is a picture there I recognise. But as for the Tern pictures, that is actually a seagull (I'm so full of it).
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:54 on 9th April 2008
On 9th April 2008 20:51, Sue Herrera wrote:
Ha! I googled the name and found a web page and I think it's Mori's as there is a picture there I recognise. But as for the Tern pictures, that is actually a seagull (I'm so full of it).

My bad    ! I should have read the whole post, as a seagull is mentioned. Sorry Mori! (A poet and I didn't know it)

Is the delete/edit button coming soon, POE? I really NEED it.

Linda Hawkins
Linda Hawkins
quotePosted at 08:05 on 10th April 2008
Leodis is the old Roman name for Leeds - where I was born. If only Poirot had had Google eh? :-;
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:43 on 17th May 2008

After our reception in 1977 which cost £74 back then, my new wife and I were setting for Scotland for our honeymoon. But, after leaving West London, we first stopped overnight at a motel south of Bristol, and had a romantic dinner followed by gazing up at the stars wondering just what I'd gone and done?  We wset off up the M5 & M6 then our Renault 6 with tubed tyres constantly started getting punctures. Several visits to the recpetions of a national tyre distributor added more charm. We set off for Loch Ness and took a few photos where I thought i'd captured a photo of the legendary monster, but no, it was a distant shot of the wife. More punctures and by now was starting to feel pretty deflated all 'round. Giving the whole honeymoon idea up as a bad job, I made one last attempt to add some more memorable romance to it, and stopped off at Gretna Green, the last puncture still not repaired. Comming back out, another tyre had gone flat, as the spare was too.

Our honeymoon by now was really going nowhere, though found a garage open that was able to fix things.

I decided to escape back to England and to our flat above a fried chicken takeaway shop where I'd concluded there's no place like home.  After 30 years, perhaps we should try again; the honeymoon that is? Clearly, there was a moral here somewhere, and what happens if you honeymoon in a Renault 6.

Rutledge Webb, Jr.
Rutledge Webb, Jr.
quotePosted at 01:40 on 31st May 2008

I'm from Charleston, SC USA. Charleston is 540 miles South of Washington, DC and 580 miles north of Miami.

Our honeymoon trip to England in 2006 was actually my first trip out of the country(Canada doesn't count).

We had a great time. It was hot as heck but luckily we had a A/C in the rental car although our hotels in Stratford and Aldwark(N. of York) did not. The countryside is beautiful and as verdant as I'd heard. Idyllic Cotswold Villages. Went to Blenheim, Stratford, Warwick, York and lastlty London.

You have a beautiful country and I wish that I could have come over when I was in my 20s intead of having to wait until my 40s.

We are trying to get back over for the Goodwood Festival of Speed but my wife is trying to get time off and I'm trying to figure out to pay for it with the stock market being down and real estate off greatly.

Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 19:24 on 1st June 2008
We had our honeymoon on the island of Jersey back in 1960. We didn't find out until we were there that it was the week of the Battle of Flowers.  Our hotel manager was busy all the week (so he said) preparing his float but when we saw him in the parade his float was a few planks of wood on a set of pram wheels, and a red hot poker in a bottle!  The parade in general though was quite spectacular. He did get ribbed about it afterwards though.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 21:50 on 1st June 2008

Never mind Jo, we all do it.

I had my honeymoon in Wales. Because I live in England and was born in Wales, I thaught it only appropriate.