Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Eskdale

Boot

a Picturesque Village in the county of Cumbria

St. Peters Church at Zeal Monachorum, Devon

Zeal Monachorum

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

DECEMBER MURMURINGS FROM THE LAKELAND MEANDERER

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:23 on 8th December 2014

Saturday 6th December dawned bright and clear if a bit cold. Car was packed by about after 9.15am and tank filled shortly after and 2 bags of rubbish deposited in the skips at work, which is pretty close, and was on my way within reason 9.30. Changed my car last Saturday so this would be a good run to work out economy (or not!!) Really good run across the M62 on over the hill towards Manchester. Windy Hill and Little house on the Prairie very clear and dry!!! Off the M62 towards Preston and still very good going. Car computer was showing in the region of 38-40 mph which I can quite happily live with considering I was running the majority of the time between 80-90mph, apart from a few miles on the 62 under average 50mph. Never trust those average stretches so always stick to 50 albeit very frustrating.

Arrived ASDA Kendal around 1200 noon which is about normal. Quick run round the shop and get a few things in then off into Kendal to Wilkinsons Camera shop but they didn't have what is was looking for. So back to the car and wend my way up to Ambleside and was in the cottage by 2.00pm. By now it had started to rain a bit so everything was put away where it should be . Quick coffee and by 3.00pm it had cleared up a bit so a wander into the village for few things that had been forgotten in ASDA plus a quick look in the outdoor shops to see what bargains are going. Gaynors has an amazing offer which may well get taken up before the end of the week. Berghaus jacket, normal price £260 going for £155 so see how the week goes..... Back to the cottage with the few purchases and then off to the Rule around 4.30 for a few beers and a catch up with the staff and locals. This was followed by the customary fish and chips for tea, from the Smithy, which had been closed back in September. What a mistake .... it was absolutety Crap!!! Apparently has been taken over, prices increased slightly but quality is way down on the previous owner, who also owned the Walnut chippy 100 yards away!!! They have now reduced prices a bit and increased portion sizes ... so may have to visit them later in the week.  The evening was spent catching up with a few things and watching the snooker.  Already made plans to go down to Windermere to see the guy who used to own the cottage so an relatively early bed ensued around 1030.

Sunday morning arrived fairly bright but plenty of cloud about and a very light dusting of snow on top of the higher fells. No rush to get up as not meeting Andrew til 10.30-11.00am so a little lie in til 09.00 was indulged. Quick shower followed by toast for breakfast, made a change from the usual Weetabix!!! Set off about 10.30 for the 4 mile drive to Windermere.. Spent an hour or more catching up with what had been going on with Andrew and the family, than a short drive into Bowness but not a lot going on there. Seemed that short showers were to be the order of the day. Sleet and drizzle alternating every 15-20 minutes. Bowness was followed by a short trip upto Grasmere to get the Gingerbread that Mother had ordered. Thought it wise to get it in early. May only be a few short miles from Grasmere back to Ambleside but ran through several more showers of varying degrees. Parked up back at the cottage and pretty much stayed in all day apart from the usual wander to the Rule which was followed this time by a Chinese takeaway from the Lucky Dragon, at least they can be relied on!!! Have brought both laptops with me this time as there are a lot of kids DVDs in the cottage so am spending some time copying them for the grandkids, so that will keep me busy on an evening. Takes about an hour to copy and record so having 2 laptops does help. Means I can be on the newer one catching up with POE and other things. Weather forecast for Monday was very unsure no matter what site I looked at, so it was a case of watch the snooker final a bit of interneting and eventually getting tin the sack around 11.00. Monday's plan of action would be considered on Monday morning when I decide to get up and open the curtains.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:44 on 8th December 2014

Those average speed checks on the 62 Dave are making an awful lot of money. I'm still convinced there are a lot of people out there who are clueless as to how they work, you see cars just slowing for the cameras, you were wise to stick to 50mph.

Shame to hear the chippy has gone downhill, but I'm sure you'll find something else. Hope your weather today was better than here.

Great read as ever. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:56 on 8th December 2014
Amazed how many people passed me in the 'average section' and more just a few mph quicker!!! More fool them. Not the greatest fan of satnav but it does bleep for all other cameras ! ! Walnut chippy has always been good, but not as big portions and the Smithy used to be, but by all accounts they have adjusted accordingly so will get a visit later in the week. Weather was quite good today so the next installment will follow in due course.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:19 on 8th December 2014
  A good read Dave, and glad all is going well ( apart from soggy chips). If there is snow on the high ground that will make for some good pics and a good work out for the new camera. As for new , what new wheels have you treated yourself to sir? Keep up the instalments and enjoy the days out there as you do.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:21 on 8th December 2014

Astra 1.4T, A vast improvement on the 1.6 Megane I had, never really liked it from the day we bought it but such is life, just had no real power

The problem with snow on the high ground is that it blends in too well with the overcast skies, but will see what transpires when I get to look properly at them

Edited by: Dave John at:8th December 2014 21:24
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:27 on 8th December 2014

Glad you are pleased with it- I know how you like a twisty hilly bit of road. I wonder if Kirkstone, The Struggle or Hardknott will get a work out this week. We got to change ours this week, another 3 years gone already.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:48 on 9th December 2014

Glad you're happy with the new wheels Dave, I hate ours Frown

Enjoy the rest of the day, I hope the weather is kind, it's getting very windy here. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:13 on 9th December 2014

Monday 7.30 and things didn't look too good outside so another hour in bed seemed like a good idea! Certainly was 'cos next time I looked at the clock it was 9.15 but that's what holidays are for innit?? Weather had improved quite a bit so after a leisurly start to the day a trip upto High Sweden Bridge was decided on. Was out of the cottage around 11.30 and although temperatures were in the 5-6c range but with the sun being out didn't seem that cool. The little 'stray' cat that is so very well fed by the local businesses is still around, as friendly as ever. Very pleasant walking up the path towards High Sweden Bridge with the high fells still covered in a light dusting of snow. But don't think that will stay too long looking at the wet weather to come!!. Not many people out and about, but I am a bit later than usual!! Good steady walk along the path albeit quite damp due to the overnight rain. After a while could quite clearly hear the sound of Scandale Beck heading on its way down towards Ambleside and the River Rothay. Eventually came out at top near High Sweden Bridge but headed on a few hundred yards further north to try to get some pictures of the snow capped fells of Scandale. Then back down to HSB and a few more photos taken. Then carrying on with the anti-clockwise route back to Ambleside it was uphill for a while towards High Coppice still pleasantly comfortable in the low sun. Gloves and hat unnecessary which was good as I don't like hats at the best of times. Even at around 1.00pm the sun was still very low in the sky and directly in front of me on the descent back to Ambleside. Just past Low Coppice I came across a small herd of Highland cattle, only youngsters but still had a few good sets of horns between them. All within 2 or 3 yards of the track and me in a nice red jacket!!!! But they are fairly docile beasts and just looked at me and carried on eating allowing me to get a few pictures from quite close range. Could be tempted to go up again to get a few more if the days allow. From here it was a steady walk back via Low Sweden Bridge into Ambleside.

But instead of going straight back to the cottage I wandered off down to Millers Bridge on the River Rothay where both Scandale Beck and Stock Ghyl Beck join the river. Across Rothay Park past the church with the obligatory photos taken of course. This is the only time of year that the Southern aspect of the church can be seen with some sort of clarity, the majority of the year surrounded by trees in leaf. Through the churchyard but nothing particularly outstanding to point the camera at. Then down to Borrans Field and the northern tip of Windermere. A sit down at the pierhead for 10 minutes or so but again very little going on. Time was getting on towards 3.00pm so a stroll back up Lake Road and drop things off at the cottage. Then a wander back into the village to buy a couple of things I had seen for the girls for Christmas. The usual trip to the Rule followed a bit later. Not many people in but one group of folk seemed to be trying to outdo each other with destinations visited throughout the world. This just left barman Steve and me totally bemused and unimpressed. 6 out of the 8 left and the remaining couple prepared to leave and bearing in mind how close everywhere is in Ambleside, the lady enquired of Steve, 'Do you sell bottled water, I don't feel like going to the shops?' She paid £1.95 for a 250ml bottle. Tesco, Coop and Spar are all less then 200 yards from the pub. I would have taken the walk, but I am from Yorkshire!!! And from then on for half hour or so it was just Steve and me in the bar until a few more came by. Back to the cottage after the customary 3 pints and a quiet night catching up and copying a few more DVDs for the grandkids. Nothing on the TV so plated a cd or 2

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:12 on 9th December 2014

Good read Dave. Why do people feel the need to buy bottled water, what's wrong with the stuff out of the tap ? 

Talking about hats, if I ever get one near my head which is very rare, everyone seems to go into hysterical giggles, I look an absolute fool in a hat of any kind. Good job we don't go to many weddings Smile 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:36 on 9th December 2014
Not much to bore you with today folks! Wet, wet and more wet. rained pretty much constantly all day. So took the advantage and got most of the DVDs copied for the kids. Wandered out around 4.30 to the post office and on to the Rule. Back home about 5.45 for an hour before going off to the Unicorn for my steak!! Had stopped raining when I went off to the Unicorn but absolutely persisting down when I set off back to the cottage. So that is about it for today I'm afraid and looking at the forecasts it ain't gonna get a lot better all week. But what the hell, the main thing is that I am here!!!! Stock Ghyl is running very fast and furious through the middle of Ambleside so would be good to get up to High Sweden Bridge again as I am sure that Scandale Beck will be just as full if not more so ... we will see . . ..

Edited by: Dave John at:9th December 2014 21:49