Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Castle

Conwy

in the county of Gwynedd

Winter Solstice 2011, Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick, Cumbria

Castlerigg

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Adventures around Argyll and Bute, and maybe a bit of The Highlands.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:53 on 22nd June 2014
A very interesting read --only one day left now,dont it soon go .Smile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:04 on 22nd June 2014
Thanks James, yes it does go by very quickly, but I think we've managed it fill up our days quite well Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:11 on 22nd June 2014
Yeah, I thought you were away the same week so I might just have to up my game a bit to keep up with youWink But i think you will agree, if you have the time, it is a fun thing to do. I still look back at previous diaries just for fun
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:32 on 22nd June 2014
I've really enjoyed doing it Dave, plus as you say it's a nice record of where you've been and what you got up to. I bet Ron's thinking - July, no I'm going to have two of them at it Laughing
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:37 on 22nd June 2014
Well at least he won't have Wimbledon and World Cup to interfere with his reading. But he will still have the last week of the Tour de France to contend with
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:40 on 22nd June 2014
That's true. We have the Tour de France to content with in two weeks, the village is in lockdown for around 18 hours so we're off to the Dales for a couple of nights. I can't be doing with being trapped in with and elderly mother and a daughter due to give birth that week.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:48 on 23rd June 2014
It's Monday our last day here and again it is fine and warm but with a little more in the way of cloud. Some of the morning was spent getting things ready to pack in the car later this evening. Most of the rubbish here is recycled so I spent an adventurous half hour or so wandering around looking for the various places to put everything. Half an hour may seem a long time but I was joined by the owners dog who is blind, but insists on having her frisbee thrown for her, problem is then she can't see where it's gone, so as well as throwing it I found I was retrieving it too !!!

When we'd got sorted and I'd lost the dog we set off to visit the Inverawe Smokehouse. Only a three mile drive up the road. There is a shop selling the produce they make, and excellent cafe, river and loch walks plus a very good exhibition about the history of fishing and smoking fish in Scotland. I noticed whilst wandering around the exhibits that the 3 heaviest Salmon every caught in the UK were all caught by women, their records still stand to this day. I pointed this fact out to David who grunted that he already knew, that was the end of that very short conversation. I detect a bit of a problem when discussing fish this week, can't think why !

After we'd seen all the exhibits we had lunch in the cafe, compared with what we'd eaten at the games yesterday this was the height of luxury and only cost slightly more. I can highly recommend the hot smoked salmon and dill sauce sandwiches if you're ever in the area.
I then spent a small fortune in the shop, which I normally do twice a year online and have it delivered, it all freezes and is much better than most of the supermarket smoked produce. It was also BOGOF day on all the pate so I ended up with a right old pile of stuff. I've also at last found my mother a jar of Heather Honey which she's been asking for since we got here, so that's me saved from a serious ear bashing, well at least on that subject anyway.

We left the car at the Smokehouse and took a walk along the path on the edge of the loch for around a mile, and then the path along the side of the River Awe which runs into Loch Etive. The scenery along the loch is by now very familiar so it was nice to take a different route along the river.
There were cows again scattered along the path, this time without the safety of the car we were in with them, they didn't seem to mind us being there. We did have a laugh at a couple who'd turned up on bikes and seemed to be having a mild panic about having to pedal through them. After about an hour of wandering we were back at the car.

We did the bit of shopping we needed for tomorrow in the village store instead of driving the 24 mile round trip to Oban. We filled the car up with fuel then retreated back to the chalet for a sit about. David managed to finish the last of the home made fruit cake which was waiting for us the day we arrived, good job we don't both eat it or it would have run out half way through the holiday. 

This evening the cloud cover vanished again and we drove down to Connel, over the bridge to North Connel, via a cul de sac and a private driveway, (we never get it right first time) and into the Lochnell Inn. We hadn't booked but they managed to find us a table in the conservatory with lovely views over the Falls of Lora where the water from the loch meets the open sea. Following a lovely meal we drove back to Taynuilt stopping off at a viewing point by the bridge to take a couple of pictures. The falls are still not at their most spectacular because of the tide, but it was still worth a look. Then it was back to the chalet, the car is packed up with almost everything ready for a start at around 8.00am in the morning.

We should be home in plenty of time to get the little fella from the cattery, then David has got to re pack all his fishing gear for a 4.00am start on Wednesday for a boat fishing trip out of Hartlepool, where hopefully he might catch some fish !!! I'm not invited.

So that's Scotland over, and a wonderful time we've had too. See you in Aberystwyth next month.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:57 on 23rd June 2014

Well Ruth and Dave, Ron does read them; and I have to say I find them very interesting. It's exactly what this site is all about and is one very good reason for visitors to come back to POE.

When somebody Googles the areas listed for reviews the chances are they will get a POE review, in this case Ruth or Daves...well done both!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:58 on 23rd June 2014
Yet another interesting read Ruth, and a nice sounding end to the break. Plenty to look back on. Bet the little fella will be happy to se you, I know Brandy was always happy to see us and come home after her holiday. Only a few weeks and it will a race to see who hits the press firstWink
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:08 on 23rd June 2014

Thanks Ron, Dave Smile It makes it all worth while when you enjoy reading them. Dave I think you might hit the press first, I've had a look and I think we go the day after you.

Misty is going to be a little chubby ball of fluff, he loves his food but at home he has four floors to run around and exercise like a lunatic, in the cattery only two levels in his little house. They also play them classical music which doesn't inspire any sort of exercise regime.