Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A long winding road in Lower Heswall, the area has remained unchanged for around 100 years.

Heswall

in the county of Merseyside

PEEBLES - SCOTTISH BORDERS

Peebles

in the county of Borders

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Is It Thame or Thames?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:10 on 17th April 2012

Is the Oxfordshire town of Thame, Thames as well?  Their local paper seems to think so with their advert on their Home Page promoting South Oxfordshire District Council's revised parking charges a few months ago, with some being Free after 2PM on Saturdays.

The advert tells us that two of them in Thames ( sic) are free as above.  It then follows up with---see tarriff (sic) board for detials (sic).

To clarify, the local paper spells its name correctly as Thame; the River Thame runs past the town of Thame and south of Dorchester-on-Thames ( not Thame and not to be confused with Dorchester, Dorset) it joins up with the better known River Thames.

The town's name pronounced as in "tame", whilst the Thames is pronounced as in "temz" as the Anglo-Saxons seemed to make up their pronounciations as they went along.

Confused? You won't be after reading the local paper's adverts--(as long as it remains there)

http://www.thametoday.co.uk/

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:17th April 2012 09:31
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:19 on 17th April 2012

Similarly confusing is the fact that the stretch of the Thames above Iffley Lock up to the city of Oxford is called the Isis. This is possibly derived from the Latin name of the Thames, the Tamesis.

Incidentally, the motto of Thames Valley Police is Sit pax in valle Tamesis - Let there be peace in the Thames Valley.

Oh dear, as I get older I accumulate more useless information ! 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:14 on 17th April 2012
dont worry edward theres a few like that on here mate.Wink
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 20:28 on 17th April 2012
At least I know I'm amongst friends, James. Takes one to know one !
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:32 on 17th April 2012
i must say it is a very friendly site and you will make many friends.Smile
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:22 on 9th September 2012
One of the nice things about PoE is that it encourages people to visit and investigate places of which they might otherwise be unaware. Having read Paul's knowledgeable words concerning the River Thames and the River Thame (Paul should have the title encyclopaedia of PoE), I set out to visit the point of confluence of the said rivers, near Dorchester-on-Thames. Not only was it an interesting walk, but also opened my eyes to many more interesting places in the immediate vicinity of Dorchester. 
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:34 on 9th September 2012

Well, I grew up living next to Thame and certainly have never heard it called Thames (as in tames) before. 

Also, The Thame River runs through Wheatley but not The River Thames.  

Here's a nice little web page all about Thame.

http://www.thame.net/history.asp 

Thame also gets the remnamts of St. Giles Fair (or it did once upon a time) which should be coming up sometime now.

The link should work now!

Edited by: Ron Brind at:12th September 2012 09:19
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 16:50 on 9th September 2012
Like the surname Sue nice oneSmile
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 17:09 on 9th September 2012

Thanks James. I thought 'What the heck!'

I'll probably change it again in a few months. HA!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:44 on 12th September 2012

Hi Sue, your link to the Thame History site doesn't seem to work, although Googling the site reaches it.

I think Paul's original post was more about the confusion in the minds of the  newspaper people. No one with local knowledge could confuse the two rivers.   Incidentally, the Thame is not very impressive at the moment, despite recent rainfall. When I was in Dorchester last week, the River Thame was little more than a stream rather than a river. I can tell you are still nostalgic about Oxfordshire from your comments about St. Giles' Fair !