Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Peel Waterfront

Peel

in the county of Isle of Man

Binham Priory, Norfolk. April 2005

Binham

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Boxing Day

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 18:23 on 24th December 2011

As you may know, it's not celebrated in the U.S.  In fact, I'd guess that most Americans don't even know there is such a thing.

Since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, many people will be off work on Monday the 26th.  I've decided I'd like to celebrate it as Boxing Day.  I read a little of the history, and unfortunately, I've no servants I can give gifts to :-), but I'm rather curious to hear how you all have celebrated it over the years.  Any family traditions?  Special foods?  Events, things you do? 

Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day, everybody!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:35 on 24th December 2011
hello ruth-nice to see you again--its just another "bank holiday" here nothing special to celebrate really,no special foods,no traditions,events,just another day off work --and another day off this year as christmas day falls on a sunday.Smile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:00 on 24th December 2011

Hi Ruth, it is lovely to see you and have a very happy Christmas. 

The only thing I can think of regarding Boxing Day was a day for eating up all the left-overs of food from Christmas Day - Mum did not want to be in the kitchen after all the time she had spent there the preceeding days! 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 19:10 on 24th December 2011

Lovely to see you too, Cathy.  Hope you're having a lovely mid-summer Christmas.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:16 on 24th December 2011
It's been raining, quite cool and miserable today - so I really hope it clears up for tomorrow!  How cold will it be in your part of the world?
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 19:34 on 24th December 2011

Our weather's been pretty great lately.  We had a couple of rainy days in the last few weeks, but we welcome them this time of year.  What I'm glad about is that we don't have that oppressive, day after day for weeks overcast weather.  Today it's about 59°F and not a cloud in the sky.  The forecast for the rest of the week is for much the same, with a little more warmth each day, probably 70°F by new year's day.  Cold at night though - the water in the birdbath was frozen this morning.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 02:31 on 25th December 2011
Boxing Day is the time I write my thank you cards. 
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:31 on 25th December 2011
boxing day we have friends calling 4 are calling on their way home from to-nights party at 11am just for an hour-then we have another 4 at 7pm       the only thing is the wife who dont drink will have to run them home its only 5 miles return trip i am sure she wont mind --then its all on for new years eve i think we will be staying in again .
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:47 on 25th December 2011
Going to the eldest daughters mid afternoon then home for about 7. She's doing some sort of buffet and all 3 grandkid will be there so it will be worth going. As to new years eve definitely staying in. Wife at work from lunchtime so me and the cat again in front of the telly or computer. Probably the computer cos there will no doubt be nothing worth watching on tv
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:59 on 25th December 2011
i never watch tv dave --maybe the super league thats bout it--i love my music and have it on while on computer -as for new years eve we have not been out for years there will only be the two of us --the daughter lives away and the son usually has a bit of a do but we pass on that one Wink