Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Question about 'class' in 30s and 40s

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 01:12 on 13th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 19:28, james prescott wrote:
in foyles war what about that girls real name    honeysuckle    her parents must have had a few drinks prior to the christening.Laughing

Yes, I always thought that was a strange name. But it kind of reminds me of Hyacinth (I absolutely love Patricia Rutledge in Keeping Up Appearances) hahaha
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 12:17 on 13th March 2010
James did you type all that history in yourself or did you copy and paste from somewhere, surely you did not make it all up, if you did copy it I would love to do the same and put it in my family history book, please tell me, I won't tell anyone LOL
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 16:14 on 13th March 2010
peggy i have sent you a message let me know if you received it.Smile
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 21:19 on 13th March 2010

It was blank James ???

Thank you for the e mail, I could not do it but I took pics of it and I will type it out, thanks

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 02:09 on 17th March 2010

Hi everyone! This isn't related to class, but it is related to my story.... :-)

There are so many lovely villages and towns (Newbourne and Brightwell are great suggestions) but I was thinking that maybe I should create a fictitious village. I am not going to be able to travel to England for years and it will be nearly impossible to get pictures and/or specific info about villages in the Forties.

My questions is: have you read a historical fiction novel that  used a fictitious town? I can't think of one. I know the author of the Midsomer Murder stories created Midsomer County and the villages in it, but those stories are contemporary.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:36 on 17th March 2010
Yes I can Lara - Frances Brett Young who is a famous Black Country novelist born in the 1800s in Halesowen (near to where I was born). He didn't use the names of the actual towns in his books - he had his own names for them (eg Birmingham was called North Bromwich in his books and Halesowen was called Halesby). It is a much better idea in a way to use a fictional town or otherwise people will be writing to you saying "It wasn't like that" etc!
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 14:15 on 17th March 2010
On 17th March 2010 06:36, Stephanie Jackson wrote:
Yes I can Lara - Frances Brett Young who is a famous Black Country novelist born in the 1800s in Halesowen (near to where I was born). He didn't use the names of the actual towns in his books - he had his own names for them (eg Birmingham was called North Bromwich in his books and Halesowen was called Halesby). It is a much better idea in a way to use a fictional town or otherwise people will be writing to you saying "It wasn't like that" etc!

Thank you, Stephanie! Congratulations on your new home!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:02 on 17th March 2010
Thomas Hardy----his county of Wessex was based on Dorset, and his town of Casterbridge  was based on Dorchester. J R R Tolkien based his Middle Earth on the West Midlands.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:12 on 17th March 2010
Although Caroline Graham wrote Midsomer Murders in Suffolk, the County of Midsomer was based on Buckinghamshire. If we looked at our fictional map of Midsomer, what villages would we find there?  After the main town of Causton ( real life Wallingford and Thame ) we then have all the little made up villages-----Badgers Drift, Midsomer Parva, Midsomer Mallow, Midsomer Sonning, Midsomer Worthy, Dunstan, Midsomer Holm, Midsomer Magna, Luxton Deeping,  Midsomer Market, Aspern Tallow, Midsomer Deverell, Morton Fendle, Broughton,  Midsomer Malham, Elverton-cum-Laterly, Haddington, Midsomer Barton, Midsomer Newton, Little Upton, Midsomer Mere, Midsomer Wellow, Fletcher’s Cross, Midsomer St Michael, Midsomer Priors, Midsomer Warden, Midsomer Florey,  Malham Bridge, Goodman’s Land, Newton Magna, Upper Marshwood, Martyr Warren, Burwood Mantle. Of course, there's a lot of real places portraying them.
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 21:23 on 17th March 2010
On 17th March 2010 17:12, Paul Hilton wrote:
Although Caroline Graham wrote Midsomer Murders in Suffolk, the County of Midsomer was based on Buckinghamshire.

Thank you, Paul! I didn't know the M.M. were written in Suffolk. I haven't read any of the books, but I have watched  several seasons of the series.