Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

All Saints Church, Gainsborough

Gainsborough

in the county of Lincolnshire

St John the Baptist Church

Stokesay

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Playne family

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:06 on 13th April 2011
very well researched paul---may i ask what system you are using to gain all this information and how hard is it to come by.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:23 on 13th April 2011

Information has been searched from---paid for genealogy sites; free ones such as familysearch.org,  various Texas records; US immigration records, US city directories and newspapers, US burial records, and Google to name a few.

I think Edward and Maurice may have arrived in Texas via Galveston. Maurice, and maybe his US family, possibly paid for Edward's grave. As the brothers disappeared from England around the same period---1870s-- I thought a good chance that they were together when they did.

I've also been following the forum Erika originally posted on and their observations which so far, have stayed in England. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:13th April 2011 19:32
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:54 on 13th April 2011

And you might hear about family history and having a skeleton in the cupboard  and in the odd case here, this was literally true.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13052364

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:56 on 14th April 2011
yes paul i read that a while back----make no bone's about it.Wink
Erika Kirby
Erika Kirby
quotePosted at 21:50 on 18th January 2022

I know it's been over ten years, but i still try to find information on Edward, occasionally.  I struck gold this week!  I found a newspaper article from The Galveston Daily News (Texas) dated Wednesday, July 30, 1884.  I could not attach it here, so I will type what it says below:

"Hesperian:  A fatal accident occurred at Leakey, Edwards County, on Saturday last, to a man named Edward Washbourn, while digging a well.  Washbourn had been working down in the well about twenty minutes when he called for the rope and he succeeded in getting within twelve feet of the surface, when he fained and fell thirty feet and was instantly killed." 

I also found my picture of his grave.  It is also viewable on findagrave.com.  His headstone reads:

In loving memory of Edward Playne Washbourne of  Nailsworth Gloucestershire England

Died July 19, 1884

Thy will be done 

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:40 on 18th January 2022
Thanks for the interesting update and for your PM too Erika. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:18th January 2022 22:42
 Please login to post to this thread...