Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The old Co-operative Society buildings at Ripley, Derbyshire.

Ripley

in the county of Derbyshire

The Royal Canal

Hythe

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Normans and Jenks/Jinks of Devon, Plymouth, St Tudy, Cornwall, UK

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 02:15 on 8th July 2010

Hi, I am searching for the above surnames.  Francis George Norman 1, married Anne Jenks/Jinks and had a son Francis George Norman II b Jan 8 1846 St Tudy d Oct 1891 PA.  Info I have is sketchy from the Norman Bible brought to the US with Francis II.  To our knowledge there were no other children. After serving in the Royal Navy Marines 1861 Sept 1872  Francis came to the US about Oct 1872, Pennsylvania married Jane Anne Avery of Northumberland in Pittsburg, PA 1873.  They had 7 Children of whom 5 came to the State of Washington in early 1906.  Any suggestions will be appreciated. Would love to find the English Relatives!   Thanks Judi

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 20:07 on 14th July 2010

Such a mystery, there is no evidence of Norman Surname in St. Tudy to date so am off to search St Tudwall’s Lighthouse which is on an island off the Lleyn Peninsula in Carnarvonshire. Does anyone have any ideas of where there is a larger group of the Norman Surname

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:06 on 14th July 2010
Very common in Devon; much less so over the border in Cornwall.
panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 00:52 on 15th July 2010

Hi Paul, Yes I have been searching Devon as well and there are a few more!  I am beginning to think he left the service early and maybe was

afraid since the story states he was upset the Navy did not tell him of the

deaths of his parents,  Technically that would make him a awol? Could have changed birthdate as well???   Still Digging and working on Wilder additions as well..  Your an inspiration on this site and much appreciated by all!  Judi

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:55 on 15th July 2010
Altering his age wouldn't have been difficult for him if that what he chose to do.  It's exactly what my Grand dad did near the start of WW1 when he signed up to the Manchester Regiment as his older friends were doing.  For adding 3 years to his real age, he found himself at the Battle of the Somme for several months.  After he left the army, I've found later documentation that shows he kept the pretext up i.e. says he died in 1947 aged 50 when he was actually 47. Took quite awhile for me to find him in the 1900 census as I didn't know how many years he'd altered his age that , many years ago, my Dad had mentioned. His army pay book shows he was on £2 per week back then.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 02:08 on 15th July 2010
And just to add how twists can appear----going back from him should have been fairly straight forward, but something kept going wrong I couldn't quite figure why, and had to skip his parents to find the cause in the end; it was his parents were step sister/brother which wasn't readily apparent looking at their marriage.
panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 18:53 on 15th July 2010

Interesting isn't it.  I have actually found a George Norman, b 1843 (1846) shown in records.  In the Channel Islands on a ship at age 15?  Have gone through the National Archives with the 1846 get nothing!  Will try the 1843 see what happens. 

Still entering on the Wilder side and just when I think I have it right I reread and find a glitch!  So many of them and of course most records on Ancestry seem to be out of dates or incorrect children to what I rec'd from your hints??  Getting a big shovel!  Yell We are dealing with near 100 temps which makes me even crazier!

panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 20:46 on 1st September 2010

Ok who took August, it is gone guess I have been working too hard!  But I love it.  More mystery in a recent conversation with a distant cousin of FG Norman II, out of nowhere she recalls FG Norman II may have used the surname Smith.  Something about he and his father FG Norman I being in the service at the same time.  My new suspicion is since there was a Aunt Ann Smith and cousin Florence who would not have been on the Jenks/Jenkins side.  Possibly the real surname was Smith and he used the Norman name.  Not throwing out the bit about being awol either.  If he was sending 1/2 his pay to his Mother I have never understood why he would send it through Thomas Jenks and not direct to her. 

Sending new research to Cornwall to try again!  

Happy End of Summer to All!  

panachemelange
panachemelange
quotePosted at 22:21 on 28th January 2011

Happy New Year!   Just found this link on the Who Do You Think You Are  which is running it's second season in the US.  The could be a way to watch on your computer? 

http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/?o_iid=46933&o_lid=46933

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:36 on 30th January 2011

Maybe you could spread your search as the name Norman could have been used widely in England, wales and even Ireland since 1066.

ie John de Norman (John Norman,  or John the Norman) etc. see below link-

http://www.teachnet.ie/mmorrin/norman/who.htm