Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Arbroath

Arbroath

in the county of Angus

All Saints Church, Gainsborough

Gainsborough

in the county of Lincolnshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Add a description

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 14:17 on 15th November 2007

Please feel free to contribute a description of a town, attraction, or even a county to the site. Whether adding one for a place of which we have no description for at all, or adding one that you feel is an improvement over the existing one, everything that users can contribute is hugely appreciated. All descriptions will be credited with the authors name and will link to their webpage.

Guidelines for adding a description -

1. Please make sure any description you contribute is in your own words. Please do not copy information directly from other sources such as books or websites, although it is fine to use such sources to gather facts and information before putting the whole thing into your own words.

2. Please write your description in a text editor such as Microsoft Word and save it to your computer before submitting it to the site. We don't want you to type it directly into the forum, just incase you get timed-out by the site and lose everything you have written. You won't be very happy!

To add a description, simply paste your previously saved work into the form below and click 'Post'.

Many thanks for your kind contribution to the site

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Adam Keppel-garner
Adam Keppel-garner
quotePosted at 14:02 on 23rd November 2007

Benwick is a small village in Fenland, Cambridgeshire with a population of around 860. Benwick has few village ammenites, only the Primary School, Play Group, "Five Alls" - the local pub and the Village Hall to serve the people of Benwick. The shop closed in August 2007.

Benwick has a copmprehensive website: www.lilyholtroad.co.uk which contains masses of information on the goings on in the village.

poe
quotePosted at 14:10 on 23rd November 2007
Roy Jackson
Roy Jackson
quotePosted at 01:31 on 26th February 2008

Hi POE.

I wished to submit some photographs of Washington Old Hall, the ancestral home of America's first president, George Washington. I thought these might be of interest to our American cousins who view the POE site from over the 'pond'. However, I was unable to find Washington, Tyne and Wear listed in the towns index. I had to go through the search facility and found it listed there. Further, Washington Old Hall is not listed in the Attractions index.

While Washington, Tyne and Wear is not exactly a market town, nor can it be classed a beauty spot, but as the place has a population of over 50,000. persons, and with it being the location of Europe's most efficient motor manufactures, i.e. Nissan, where over 100,000.vehicles a year are produces. I think that it deserves to be listed in the full town index.

Washington dose have a couple of redeeming features, Washington Wetland Centre is one of the North East's conservation success stories. It is set in 45 hectares of wetland and woodlands on the north bank of the River Wear. In the old village centre there is the above mentioned Washington Old Hall, this is now owned by the National Trust and is open to the public.

If you wish, I will submit Washington Old Hall photograph as soon as possible.

Roy Jackson.

poe
quotePosted at 10:58 on 26th February 2008

Hi Roy

Thanks for the info.

Washington now appears in the full towns index here: http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/townsw

We have also added Washington Old Hall: http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Tyne_&_Wear/Washington/Washington_Old_Hall

and Washington Wetland Centre: http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Tyne_&_Wear/Washington/Washington_Wetlands_Centre

Thanks for the offer of some pictures. We look forward to receiving them. Many thanks.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 18:54 on 18th February 2009
The county of Lancashire

Set in the historic North West of England lies the red rose county of Lancashire. A county of beautiful countryside and places of historic interest. Visit the stately homes and castles along with ancient market towns and cities of national and international importance. Coastal towns, natural beaches and superb countryside offer much to walkers, photographers, and nature lovers whilst for those seeking the fast life a visit to Blackpool, the largest beachside funfair in Europe, with its famous tower and annual free Illumination display will take your breath way.
International airports at Manchester and regional airports at Liverpool and Blackpool are right on the doorstep of this beuatiful county noted for its warm, friendy, people.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:07 on 30th September 2009

County Cavan is located in north central Ireland.  It is part of the Republic of Ireland but lies on the border of Northern Ireland in the historical region of Ulster.  Cavan is a very rural county, dotted with approximately 365 lakes, one for each day of the year, so they say.  People visit Cavan from all over Europe for fishing holidays.  One of the famous Cavan family names is Reilly or O'Reilly, so anyone in the world with the name or any spelling thereof can most likely trace ancestry to Cavan or the surrounding counties.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:45 on 2nd October 2009
How do you know that Ruth, have you been there? Lol
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 02:03 on 3rd October 2009

Pretty good for a foreigner, eh, Ron?  Wink

We brought some Cavan newspapers home and I was looking at the classifieds in the employment section, which they call the "Appointments" section.  I saw a job listing that for my husband (he's in masonry).  The company was advertising for a "squad of brickies."  lol  People in England and Ireland just have such a way with words. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:08 on 3rd October 2009
Thanks for getting Chris/Sarah to add Cavan, Ruth...