Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Burley, Hampshire

Burley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What's your weather like today?....6

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
Posted at 15:22 on 29th October 2012

Sunny Devon is rainy Devon today, but not at all cold.

I hope the storms in the States will not be as bad as forecast.  Stay safe everyone.

With a nice early morning cup of tea as well Peggy? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
Posted at 18:47 on 31st October 2012
Greetings all!  I'm back at work today after having Monday and Tuesday off due to the storm closures (Federal government, schools, public transport, practically everything including my office).  At my house, just had lots of rain and howling winds, but no damage or flooding.  New York and New Jersey didn't fare as well.  I'm sure you've seen the videos and photos by now.  Sandy was apparently the largest hurricane in history in terms of the size of her wind field.  Parts of the state of West Virginia received about two feet of snow.  I believe there were about 50 fatalities throughout the area covered by the storm.  One local TV reporter who in years past has reported on similar events and the devastation in the neighborhoods, was now reporting on his own house where a huge tree fell on his roof, crashing through into his bedroom, where his wife had been lying down just a half hour earlier.  Luckily no one was injured.  I didn't even lose power.  I feel tremendously blessed.
cathyml
cathyml
Posted at 19:26 on 31st October 2012

That is great news Barbara, I am so glad for you that you are OK and your home too!

I am desperately sorry for those in the New York and New Jersey areas.  There are many people who will really suffer there!  My thoughts are really with them all!  And those people on the islands that were virtually submerged and their homes washed away! What a dreadful and costly tragedy all round!

Krissy
Krissy
Posted at 13:10 on 1st November 2012

Hi everyone!!!

Checking in from New Jersey! Barbara I am so glad you made it out ok! I'm wondering how Cathy and Diana are doing!

New Jersey got slammed....hard. The worst devestation ever. I lost power on Monday night and it's still not on. No word as to when it will be back on. Me and the girls are staying at my dads place for now. The roads in my town are closed or without traffic lights and currently the worst problem is gasoline. There are long long lines for it at the stations that have power. Everyone needs it for their generators!! There is the fear that fuel will run out.

It's a very scary and stressful situation. Schools have been closed all week but I think the kids would rather be in school instead of a cold dark home at this point.

I've been very lucky. My thoughts go out to those who are really suffering.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 13:35 on 1st November 2012

Hi Krissy nice to hear from you, and yes we have wondered about you, and are thinking about you all over there. Must be so hard to try to take in the total loss of material things, let alone those who have lost family and friends. A truly awful situation and one which I hope our Government will help out with in sending cash your way, rather than giving it to less deserving cases.

God bless you all Krissy and thanks for looking in. Take care dear friend.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
Posted at 15:06 on 1st November 2012

Hi,

Those of us out west are thinking of you, Barbara and Krissy. Lots out here are praying for all those folks who have lost their homes and businesses. We truly hope the Red Cross and FEMA are trying to help out back there. Sure glad you two are okay. And hope Cathy and Diana are too. God bless you both. And we hope there are no more fatalities from the hurricane. It's so sad that at least 50 people perished--their families must be heartbroken. We heard the geography of the coast of New Jersey has actually been changed. A staggering thought. Glad you two checked in on POE so we found out that you're still kicking. 

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
Posted at 21:44 on 1st November 2012
Krissy, good to hear from you, glad you're okay.  I wish I could fix your power and fuel problems, but all I can do is pray for all of you guys up there.  We've been pitching in here in DC doing work for the folks in our New York office, which is still closed, and our clients in NY.  No staff to help the attorneys.  Thank goodness we have e-mail contact.  I haven't heard from Cathy or Diana either and pray they are all right too.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
Posted at 02:50 on 2nd November 2012

Glad to see our east coaster coming in ot let us know they are doing well..we heard from NY also..whose out of power in lowe Manhatten until he said something Like Saturday at the earliest...he says it's pretty dark there at 6:30 pm...but just now finding an way to link into tell us he's "OK" otherwise.

I have an question to ask you people back there...and something I noticed with Hurricane Katerina also....why so many cars floating around...don't you have high rise Parking garages you could take them to in the city..to be safe and out of the water problems. I might

add after our last high water flooding here, they decided this last time to take water front road along the river and raise it two stories high...and have an means to close off the under passes to the water front park. I'm sure as they go through an look into some of these things they will change for better alternatives. Something else...this makes year "two" for you people to suffer from an bad storm...what's with the weather..this is not your ususal weather. I hope it's not going to be an yearly thing. We watched them start up HARRP and they fired it so high there wasn't an high enough reading trying to break up Sandy before it came in-land...I have no idea if it worked and you  were spared from what "might of been" or not. Stay safe. Move on best you can also. So much going on right now. Holidays coming up also.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 09:34 on 4th November 2012
Needless to say it's still raining here, winds are picking up, but typical Autumn weather.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
Posted at 16:57 on 5th November 2012
Cooler weather. But 1 tomato vine still blossoming. Spinach and basil coming up. Finally daylight savings time is over. Bright sunny day here.