The present structure itself has 12th century origins but dates mainly from the 13th century. There is evidence to suggest that a church was here on this site as far back as the 10th century. Some alterations were made in the 15th century and there were three different periods of 19th century restoration here. A saxon gravestone was found here during the 19th century restorations, which is thought to have dated from around 975AD.
The west tower is three stage, with clasping butresses supporting the lower level. The tower in pinnacled at each corner and a row of grotesque faces surround the tower. Five bells hang here, with one of these being added in 1897, being cast by Taylor & Sons of Loughborough. The others are all of considerable age and interest. Two were made by Thomas Norris of the Stamford Bellfoundry, with both being dated 1647. One bell is uninscribed and is thought to date from circa 1350. The other bell is thought to have been cast by Newcombe of Leicester in 1570. See Peterborough Churchcrawler for further information.