Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
The Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham is a Church of England shrine church built in 1938 in Walsingham, Norfolk, England. Walsingham is the site of the reputed Marian apparitions to Richeldis de Faverches in 1061. The Virgin Mary is therefore venerated at the site with the title of Our Lady of Walsingham.
The shrine church was substantially extended in the 1960s. The church has a holy well known for its healing properties; pilgrims receiving water from the holy well is accompanied by the laying on of hands and anointing. Water from the well is often taken home by the faithful and distributed to their family, friends and parishioners.
The grounds include the shrine church, gardens, several chapels, a refectory, a café, a shrine shop, a visitors’ centre, the Pilgrim Hall, an orangery, the College (home to priests-associate when in residence), and a large number of different residential blocks for the accommodation of resident pilgrims. More pictures of Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham by Paul V. A. Johnson...