Edward Browning (1816-1882) was the son of the Stamford architect Bryan Browning (1773-1856), who designed Bourne Town Hall . Edward became a successful architect in his own right . There are around 30 Listed buildings attributed to him or associated with him, including the stone bridge erected over the River Welland at Stamford in 1849 . The bridge formed part of the old "Great North Road" (A1) and the town had to manage with Britain's north-south traffic through its narrow roads until 1960, when the bypass was built to the west of the town, only a few months after the M1 opened. A look at the map will show that it is only one road bridge over the Welland (excluding the A1) in this area so one can imagine what a "bottleneck" it was and the horrendous traffic problems there must have been here in the 1950s.