Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Ethelbert, Hereford: the transept
A place of worship has existed on the site of the cathedral since the 8th century or earlier. The present building was begun in 1079. It houses the Mappa Mundi, a medieval map of the known world, dating from c. 1300. It is the largest medieval map known to exist.