Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bluebell Woods

Hythe

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

Greenwich, Greater London

Greenwich

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 14:52 on 13th March 2011

This is all so interesting sadly I do not recognize Mr Godfrey Hugh Wheeler; but could well be on Clytie nee Wheeler fathers side of the family.  Henry Wheeler (my gt grandfather had large houses, one in Southport, where he was a Church warden for 27yrs. One of his Villa's was in Cheltenham, all his residences where called Middleton Lodge.But I do not think this was one of Henry Wheeler's residences; but could be a close member of the Wheeler family, I have not yet done a tree for Henry Wheeler it will be fascinating to find out who his parents and grandparents were one day. Thank you both for your persistance!!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:11 on 13th March 2011

I think your Henry Wheeler was born 26 October 1821 and christened 25 Nov 1821 at St Leonards, Shoreditch, London, the son of William Wheeler and Jane.  I didn't go further back than that yet.  He married Agnes Searle in Mar quarter 1848 in Ashton under Lyn.  He was an Attorney/Solicitor.

More to follow - must go out for a while now!

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:25 on 13th March 2011

I thnk Ashton Under Lyn just needs an E tagged on the end; then it'll match my birth certificate Smile

If you want to read a bit more about the house, you'll find more here but go back 4 paragraphs before Economic History heading, starting at Lands of Rossley.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66462#s3

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:13th March 2011 15:27
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:39 on 13th March 2011
On 13th March 2011 13:47, cathyml wrote:

Rossley Manor was turned into a Residential Country Club around 1930.  Hmmmm wonder if there is a guest register anywhere?  Hey super-sleuth do you think you could find it?

Could be tricky, but I do know Rossley Manor Country Club Members Handbooks exist which likely includes photos too. Smile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:47 on 13th March 2011
On 13th March 2011 15:25, Paul Hilton wrote:

I thnk Ashton Under Lyn just needs an E tagged on the end; then it'll match my birth certificate Smile

If you want to read a bit more about the house, you'll find more here but go back 4 paragraphs before Economic History heading, starting at Lands of Rossley.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66462#s3

Thanks Paul.  I found quite a lot of info like that you mention above, so I forward the links by e-mail to Joanna earlier today. 

British History is an excellent resource for anyone looking for this type of information though.

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 09:18 on 19th March 2011

Was there any connection in the end to the Name   Mr. Godfrey Hugh Wheeler; if this is not a family member of Clytie Wheeler then whoever was living there in the 1930's before it came a country club? Was there a register in the end? Whoever it was living there would have been very good friends of Clytie Weaver nee Wheeler as I have a photograph with Rossley Manor written underneath the photograph (which I sent to Cahtyml) taken within a walled garden the same stone for the Wall is used on the house the three are having fun it looks like a swimming pool or pond, there is another dog in the photograph and children being tossed into the water, it is a very old photograph shame one cannot post anymore black and white images or I would post it. In the meantime I am asking a cousin to take a photograph of Rossley Manor for me who lives in Gloucestershire. Many thanks again and if you find a resistor with names or who did actually live there before it was a club this would be interesting as they were friends of Clytie Weaver nee Wheeler. J

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:18 on 19th March 2011
As you'll read in the link I mentioned Joanna, the owner of the house was a Mr C. M. Coxwell-Rogers and had been in the family for a few generations.  It's the Coxwell-Rogers family crest that is shown above the entrance in your original photo.
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 11:13 on 19th March 2011
Oh thank you Paul this is very helpful. Sorry I missed that. I will copy and past this next to the orginal photograph with address. Many thanks gain Paul and to all. Joanna :-)
Louisa Kulukundis
Louisa  Kulukundis
quotePosted at 10:57 on 20th October 2012
I lived at rossley manor. My grandfather was general Coxwell-Rogers, he lived there once it was returned to family home, and then he and my grandmother moved into the north wing when my uncle Col Richard Coxwell-Rogers moved into the main house in the 1970. the Coxwell -Rogers back in theo day owned a lot of the big houses in Dowdeswell, but sadly Rossley was sold and left the family in 1993 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:48 on 20th October 2012

Wow! Thank you for that Louisa

Why not go to 'User Introductions' tell us a little about 'you' and then expect the usual welcome from the POE family members.

BTW welcome to POE Louisa, from Anna and Ron (but not really the thread to say it)