Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

We Will Remember Them

St Eval

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

PET HATES

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:16 on 25th December 2012
Everyone has little things that niggle them that they call PET HATES. But we also have things that are more that PET HATES. I have 2 specifically that infuriate me, almost to the point of screaming, whenever they occur. But before I let you into my secrets lets have a few of yours..............
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 13:37 on 25th December 2012
 I may have said about this before, what about these "well mannered" types that waltz into your shop wave a ticket at you, drop some money on the counter and off they go with little or no acknowledgent of your existance --- SO busy yacking on their mobile phone. This practice is so very bad mannered yet they would be the first to moan if the person behind the counter was not on their toes and three bags full sir.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:11 on 25th December 2012

Rude people.

Reality TV shows and the assumption that everyone is interested.

Soaps and the assumption that everyone is interested.

Drivers not paying attention to driving. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:43 on 25th December 2012
I have a few pet hates---one of mine is seeing an overweight young mother with a tracksuit on with the white stripe down the side of the pants smoking her head off pushing a car-boot sale pram with a scruffy kid inside eating a Greggs sausage rollLaughing
Mike Freeman
Mike Freeman
quotePosted at 10:23 on 26th December 2012

Among my pet hates are cyclists who think the pavement is just for them,we have to move for them no warning bell to let you know that they are about to pass you. And when it's dark most don,t even have lights.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:40 on 26th December 2012
Yes Mike one of mine as well -i dont move i force them onto the highway apart from young kids--also the car owners who park on road junctions creating a blind view of on-coming traffic.
Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 16:16 on 26th December 2012
One of my pet hates is sitting next to someone on a bus or train who sniffs the whole time.  I wish I had the courage to hand them a tissue, but I really don't think it would make much difference anyway.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:47 on 26th December 2012
I'm agreeing with all these, one that I missed that really gets to me is people who don't clean up after their dogs, or if they do they then tie the poo bag to a tree or leave it on a wall top.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:19 on 26th December 2012
Yes Ruth--if there is anyone close by they pick it up --but if there is no-one near--wellWink
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:35 on 26th December 2012

Well that is a good start and I have to agree with all so far. However probably my biggest pet hate of all revolves round the words AWESOME and UNIQUE

Awesome....simply because it is so overused and very in the right context. My view is that it a word for something so amazing, even catastrophic, that another descriptive word does not suit. I can only think of a handful of things that I would ever have attributed the word to.....Commentators suggest that a guy scoring a goal at a football match can be awesome.......I don't think so. I only have a small thesaurus but it shows 28 alternative words ! ! !! !

Unique.......it is a word on its own and cannot be quantified. Something is either unique or it is not. People so often say that something is 'quite unique' or 'rather unique' which annoys me intensly and even the dear old BBC, who have built a great reputation of correct use of the English language, slip up with this one occasionally

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >