This is one of the most notable buildings around St Mary's Cathedral from an historical viewpoint. It was built between 1610 and 1615 by John Byres and was restored in 1830 by Sir Patrick Walker. It belonged to Barbara and Mary Walker and was part of their gift to the Scottish Episcopal Church, which enabled St Marys’ Cathedral to be built. For some time it was the home of the Cathedral Choir School, which became St Mary’s Music School in 1971. When the Music School moved in 1995 to the larger Coates Hall nearby Old Coates House became the Episcopal Church' Theological Institute. It now fulfil's a variety of purposes, including housing and provides teaching and meeting rooms.