The only road on the Cape was built in 1828 by the lighthouse commission across the moorland. The road is only accessible via the passenger ferry that crosses the Kyle of Durness.The very rough road is about 11 miles (18 km) long and is the only link with the lighthouse from the Kyle of Durness. It was built in 1828 when the lighthouse was constructed. The land was originally owned by the Duke of Sutherland, but much of it was sold to the armed forces in the 1930s for use as a military training area. It is still used today by the MOD with live firing and bombing ranges. The road (the U70) passes Ministry of Defence check-points and access to the Cape during live firing exercises is prohibited, for obvious reasons!