"A picture of County Kildare"
Picture of the reception area of the Setanta House Hotel in Celbridge Co Kildare. In October 1729, 12 days before his death, The Right Honourable William Connolly Esq. of Castletown made provisions in his will for the construction of a school in or near the town of Celbridge for the reception of 40 children for maintenance and education. His bequest for the foundation of the school was in accord with the then current proclivity of the wealthier classes in Ireland to establish or at least aid and support of such schools in various parts of the country.
The Right Honourable William Connolly Esq, nephew and heir to his Excellency donated fifty acres of land for the building, which was to stand in a 400sq feet court and be surrounded by a wall and adorned with a tower and clock. It is assumed the building was completed in 1737 although there appears to be no published reference to it until 1788 when records show there were 17 children in the school and enrolment was confined to girls. It continued to operate as a school until the 1970’s when it was converted to an hotel.
Today Setanta House Hotel is carefully restored and refurbished to reflect the elegance of the Great Irish Houses of its era. Slideshow Upload