The Anglian Tower is the lower portion of a tower on the city walls of York in the English county of North Yorkshire. Its date is somewhat controversial.
The tower is located on a section of the Roman city wall in the Museum Gardens. It is a small square tower, built of stone with arched doorways and tunnel-vaulted, and has a modern plaque stating:
This building is the lower storey of a tower built into a breach in the 4th century Roman fortress wall perhaps in the reign of King Edwin (616 - 632 AD). It was hidden under the Danish and later ramparts and rediscovered in 1839.
Despite such a bold statement, it has variously been dated to the late Roman, the sub-Roman or the Anglian period