The High Bridge on Lincoln High Street dates from 16th century and carries the road, once one of the two main routes through the centre of Lincoln, over the River Witham. The area is now pedestrianised. The bridge is the only one in Britain still in use today with a secular a medieval building still standing on it and incorporated in its structure are the stone ribs of what is believed to be the second oldest masonry arch bridge in the country. Built of stone with later brickwork, the bridge has been extended in various stages - including an extension to accommodate a chapel in 1235 and a range of timber buildings in 1540-50. The original timber frame house was stripped down to the bare timbers in 1901-2 and completely restored to what is seen here.