There was a church and a priest mentioned here at the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086, with these being in the possession of Heppo The Crossbowman. Nothing of that early structure remains, with the earliest parts of the present structure dating back to the early 13th century.. The heavily buttrerssed14th century tower is very distinctive, with alternate differing colours of ironstone and limestone banding. The pinnacled spire dates from a little later. A corbel string separates the tower from the spire and this features several heads, one of which, on the south side, is that of a dog. Perhaps, like at Fotheringhay in Northants, this might be a memorial to a beloved pet belonging to a stonemason all those hundreds of years ago. The south porch and nave are both battlemented. The church here was struck by lightning in July 1877, with damage costing £120 to repair, with repair to the tip of the spire visible today.
See Peterborough Churchcrawler for further information.