Black and White image of Staunton Harold Church built in 1653 on the instructions of Sir Robert Shirely Fourth Baronet, this is a rare building of its time, an era known as the Commonwealth Period, when Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector of England. Building this chapel was Sir Robert’s way of standing up for ‘all things sacred’ as he saw it: the High Anglican Church and the God-given right of the monarch to rule. Staunton Harold Church, or the Chapel of the Holy Trinity as it is also known, is a fine example of Gothic style, which continued into the middle of the 17th century. The oak box pews and wood panelling are made from local oak by the Melbourne joiner William Smith. William also created the pulpit, the Jacobean-style panelling in the chancel and the original chancel screen which now stands beneath the organ loftMore pictures of Staunton Harold Church by Jennifer Brooke...
church Staunton Harold trees nature photography bench Leicestershire 1653 Sir Robert Shirley Rare building England UK Chapel God Monarch Holy Trinity Gothic Staunton Harold Church Leicestershire Staunton Harold
Well processed B&W shot Jen, nicely done
Please login to make a comment on this picture