In the grounds of Netherhall farm Roydon there is the remains of an ancient mansion called Netherhall. The manor of Netherhall was originally held by Waltham Abbey, but it became the residence and property of the Colt family in the reign of Edward IV. It was thought that Thomas Colt started to build Netherhall mansion in the mid 1400's. This was supported with dendrochronological dating in 1993 using two samples of timbers from the Gatehouse which suggested a construction date for the building of between AD 1447 and AD 1492. Thomas unfortunately died in 1471 before completing the building and it is thought that his son John finally finished the building in 1506. Interestingly Thomas More stayed at Netherhall mansion as a guest of the Colt family and he took a shine to Colts 17 year old daughter Jane. Although ten years his junior they were married in 1505 in the doorway of St Peters church Roydon. Jane died 6 years later after the birth of their 4th child. Netherhall was held by the Colt family untill 1635, after which it passed to the Archers of Coopersale, and from them to the Houblons. The majority of the Netherhall mansion was demolished in 1773, however the enormous gateway entrance, which is bordered by two massive hexagonal towers, is still standing, as it was partially restored by a grant from English heritage in 1994. Netherhall was originally built as a fortified manor house surrounded by a large rectangular moat, and even today, the remains, which are grade 1 listed, are an imposing site and can be seen for miles around.
Please login to make a comment on this picture