7 Interesting and historical facts about East Riding of Yorkshire.
The first lighthouse on Flamborough Head was built by Sir John Clayton, and was completed in 1674. It is one of the oldest surviving complete lighthouses in England. Built from chalk, it was never lit, and is now a Grade II* listed building
Beverley Minster possessed two bells in 1050. Four bells were installed in 1366, three of which are still in use in the Minster after having been recast. In the south-west tower there is a bell weighing over 7 tonnes and which is over 7 feet in diameter. It is a non-swinging bourdon bell called Great John, which chimes the hour and dates from 1901.
Beverley Minster is one of the largest parish churches in the UK, larger than one-third of all English cathedrals.
King Henry III granted 40 oaks from Sherwood Forest in 1252 to help rebuild Beverley Minster after the fire of 1188 completely destroyed it along with much of the town.
Beverley Westwood is a pasture to the West of the town of Beverley and is one of the largest areas of common land in the UK. It was granted to the people of the town by the lord of the manor in 1380. The land is home to a racecourse and a golf course, with a famous landmark on the common being the black sail-less windmill, known locally as Black Mill, which stands where a windmill has stood since the 1650's.
Hull Fair which traditionally started on the nearest Saturday to 11th October but now starts on the Friday, is the biggest traveling fair in Europe. 'Traveling Fair' meaning that all rides, sideshows etc travel to Hull for the week and depart afterwards.
The Humber Bridge opened in 1981 was the longest single span suspension bridge in the world for 16 years.