There was a church here at the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086 but nothing of that original structure remains. The earliest parts of the present building date back to the mid 13th century. The church here was consecrated by the Bishop Of Lincoln in 1242.
Much rebuilding work was done here at the start of the 16th century, and it is thought that the plan was to rebuild the whole church. The chancel was rebuilt at this time, as was the north chapel and north arcade. The west tower also dates from around this time.
As with most other churches, much restoration was undertaken here in the Victorian period. In 1858 the church was restored by subscription and ten years later the roofs of the nave and south aisle was restored as a memorial to Frances Rooper, the Rooper family once living in Abbots Ripton Hall and Rectory.
The tower is a four stage affair and is perpundicular and castelated, eith a square finial at each corner. It is heavily butressed and it did appear to the naked eye that the tower might be leaning a tad.
There are three bells hanging here, with the treble bell being of particular age, dating from around 1400 and being cast by William Dawe of London. Another of the bells here was cast by Tobias Norris III of the Stamford Bellfoundry in 1671. A third was added by John Warner & Son in 1875, replacing a bell dated 1622 which was either cast by Tobias Norris of the Stamford Bellfoundry or Haulsey of St Ives. See Peterborough Churchcrawler for further information.