Daffodils in the St. Denys churchyard, Stanford Dingley
A church has been built on the present site of St. Denys' Church since before the Norman Conquest (1066), and some of the original Saxon stonework still stands. The font is Norman and additions to the building were made in the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries. The church is famous for its medieval wall paintings dating back to the 12th century. The paintings were whitewashed over at the Reformation but were rediscovered by the Victorians although they then covered some of them up again. In early Spring a mass of snowdrops decorate the churchyard and later there is a mass of primroses, daffodils, grape hyacinths and lesser celandines, making a riot of colour.