Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hunstanton

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we just take 'pretty' pics of England ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:44 on 22nd August 2012

Hi, I'm going to take a look at Ogdens over the next couple of days. If I can get something decent with the trusty Nikon I'll post it.

I just wish I'd taken digital pictures of the Albert Dock area before it was turned into a tourist location. I took some yeares ago on old monocrome film one sunny Sunday afternoon when the place was deserted except for me and someone playing a flute, the sound of which drifted over the still water / mud. "Greensleeves", a deserted dock full of the obsolete machinery of times past. All rather magical.

I feel really old now. Must go for a pint!  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:03 on 22nd August 2012

I hope Ogden's is still there, Rod, and you get some good shots.

According to Google 'Streetview', Ogden's is still there, but I have been fooled by 'Streetview' in the past, with images sometimes a year or so out-of-date.  

Don't worry about waxing nostalgic. I am also old enough to remember Liverpool as a major port, and can just about remember the Overhead Railway through the Docks. Your description of the deserted dock is indeed magical.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:08 on 23rd August 2012
I went to Ogden's this morning and it still is a lovely building and very much there. It closed in 2007 but is in "fine fettle". I took about a dozen shots and have submitted one to POE, and if it is approved it will soon feature.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:10 on 23rd August 2012

Great news, Rod, I will look out for the pic. 

I hope the building will be used in some way to ensure its survival for years to come.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:20 on 25th August 2012

I like waxing nostalgic. I do it all the time--it's simply that we have long memories. 

I'll look for the pic, Rod. Also I hope the building will be used so it won't go to rack and ruin. England is usually wonderful about keeping buildings from long ago. It's not that way here, for the most part.

Thank you Rod and Edward for all the posts about the city my Dad and his family came from. I wish my Dad had talked more about Liverpool. He did get a bit emotional when Gerry and the Pacemakers released "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" in the 1960s.Wink 

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:30 on 26th August 2012

Gerry & The Pacemakers are still heard singing "Ferry" on the Ferries to this day Linda-Mary.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 13:31 on 18th March 2014

I thought I would revive this thread, having posted a few 'unpretty' pictures myself.

Turner's Garage, Queen's Road, Caversham

Picture by Edward Lever

Southern Gas Social Club, Reading

Picture by Edward Lever

Disused Swimming Pool at King's Meadow, Reading

Picture by Edward Lever
Western Tower, Reading
Picture by Edward Lever

The pictures above show a side of our towns which are not the 'picture postcard' views. For me, at least, they are as much a statement about England as the prettier views. Should I continue submitting the occasional 'unpretty' image, or should I stick to pretty views only, so as not to deter visitors?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 14:19 on 18th March 2014
Keep em coming Edward nice to see a change of scenery Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:27 on 18th March 2014
I agree Edward, this is England, and it's not all pretty, keep them coming. I don't think it will put off any visitors, I've been to many a beautiful place in countries all over the world and they all have there unpretty places.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:59 on 18th March 2014

I too agree that our land should be recorded photographically in much the same way as Cromwell demanded his portrait painted, “warts and all”. Your pictures of the tower block, swimming pool and garage with the ancient petrol pumps are  interesting parts of what our nation is, has been and continues so to be. The human face and form is like a landscape, being sometimes beautiful, sometimes not, but seldom if ever not interesting. I’m thinking of gas holders, cooling towers, plus all kinds of industrial architecture that can provide graphic images. Also my minds skips to old trams, which in the days when they clanked around our city streets were just taken for granted and considered ugly. Now, a vintage tram is viewed by many as a wonderful sight.

I love to see images with a bit of an “edge” to them and our country looks as diverse and the people who populate it. I think POE would be all the better showing the good, the bad, and even the ugly, providing the image has something to convey to the viewer.